First archery deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First archery deer

This is my 4th season bow hunting, I love the sport but have to admit I was beginning to get a little frustrated. I've killed countless pigs, 2 different sub species of turkey, squirells, rabbits, coons, and a crow all with my Bowtech Assasin. I've just never connected a shot on a whitetail. Until this morning at 9:05. I had been having a pretty eventful morning here on the northern edge of Madison county at the Leon County line. Around 7 this morning I had 2 does and a button buck feeding at a protein feeder off to my left, I had decided if the doe would present me a shot I would take her, sure enough she begins to walk towards my tree, and I get the bow up and get ready. She stops out of my shooting lane and looks behind her and takes off. 2 small bucks chased her all around the hollow woods until they were out of sight. She never came back. Around 8:50 my belly started growling and I was thinking of heading back towards the house to get a bite to eat, when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye coming down the road. It was a spike my buddy Gavin had told me he had seen a few times, but never was able to get a shot. Well the spike walks into the woods about 80 yds in front of me and proceeds to beat the tar out of small saplings, I guess he thought he was a bad***! I had a grunt call with me and I said what the heck, il try.... I grunted and he picked his head up and looked in my direction and came in on a string. He went wide of my tree and shooting lane at first but managed to circle his way in front of me at 10 yds. He stepped to a pretty hard quartering away and I made my move and drew back. I didn't even think about it, it felt so natural. My pin hit its mark and the arrow flew, I don't remember ever touching off the release. At arrows impact there was a huge splatter of blood and I got excited and started shaking. I heard him crash not far to my southwest and began getting my stuff together to get out of the tree. It was a very short track maybe 50 or 60 yds with a red carpet blood trail that I never had to slow down to follow. I admired my deer and talked to god thanking him for the privilege of getting to enjoy his creation and the opportunity of harvesting this animal.
    This is my first animal since switching to viper tricks and I am sold. Sorry for the less than stellar pictures, I am out here by myself and was unable to get proper ldp's but I will retain this hunt in my mind for the rest of my life.

congrats buddy!

Comment

awesome man congrats! good looking spkike

Comment

Great shot man. That's picture perfect

Comment

congrats

Comment

Way to get it done!

Comment

Awesome man, I'm still trying to get my first deer with my bow as well.

Comment

Congrats and Great shot bud

Comment

Good job man. Congrats on finally getting it done!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

great work. Im ready for this weekend.

Comment

Congrats and great shot!

Comment

Congrats! Still waiting for my big day also!

Comment

awesome congrats!

GOod one to take out

Comment

Working...
                              X