Got lucky. Lesson learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got lucky. Lesson learned

Got in the stand at 5:10ish. Deer are normally out in front by 5:45-6:00 so I was later than I wanted to be. Dad accidentally mowed too far out and I thought my hunt was gonna be a huge bust. Wind was blowing hard, lost an arrow getting to the stand, got in late, and the mowing all set me up to be in a not great mood for the evening. I was eventually able to settle down and just enjoy. It didn't take too long since it was an absolutely beautiful evening. I was losing hope as it started to close in on 6:45 and still no deer. Finally spotted a spike run across the cut to the tall grass out front. I just knew this was going to be how it was. Deer were gonna be spooked by the new opening and all the wind I I wasn't gonna make it happen. Right when it was starting to really fade the wind died down. Out of no where here come a line of doe. Walking absolutely perfect straight down the fence from my left to right. As soon as they got out front I heard some movement to my right coming out of the woods. Here comes 4 bucks all hopping the fence to join the 7 does that came in. It took a little bit but one of the does finally have me a shot. Slightly quartering to about 19 yard. I aimed low like I should so if she ducked I'd still get some lungs or top of the heart. As soon as I released I knew it was wrong. I heard a loud crack and saw her pick up her left front leg and go trotting/limping off. I knew it was low and I was absolutely sick. All the deer scattered but were not very alarmed. She kinda move off to my left then some of the other deer started to filter back to the corn. She finally moved back across the open to my right limping. I got drawn on her once when she was about 55-60yd out but just couldn't take the shot. Just too far to be comfortable with the amount of light I had. Well she kept limping to the right until she was behind some low hanging limbs. She didn't emerge again into my sight line but all the other deer kept filtering back in. I just knew she would present me another shot somehow with the other deer not being spooked. It finally got way too dark and I lowered my bow til it was almost to the ground and let it drop to scare the deer off. I wasn't even going to go look for her right then. I was just going to wait til this morning and see what k could find. I was just hoping and praying that somehow I got an artery in the leg. I got down. Crossed the fence and shone my light out in that field thinking maybe she had bedded from being hurt. I didn't see anything sticking up and decided to go out just a bit more and shine and I see a lump on the ground. She is down!!! I walk up and when my light hits her eyes she makes one little jerk and that is it. I am SO thankful! Seeing her on the ground was one of the biggest reliefs I have ever experienced hunting. I have never been so happy to see a deer down. Even my buck from last year didn't compare. I was so sick thinking I just wounded her. I'll let the pictures show the lesson. This Shot Simulator is pretty cool especially for educational situations like this one. Shooting 82nd Airborne 73# at 29.5" Slick Trick Mag 125gr. Beaman Hunter arrow

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445183891.608318.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	25070157

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445183901.824396.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	25070158

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445183914.009510.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	25070159

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445183924.360889.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	25070160

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445183942.392973.jpg
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	25070161

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445183950.727447.jpg
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	25070162

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445183965.195850.jpg
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	25070163

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445183975.963732.jpg
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	25070164

That's awesome, congrats to you

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats on the recovery. Quick question as to the angle of your shot. Were you up in a tree or in a ground blind?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
          Congrats on the recovery. Quick question as to the angle of your shot. Were you up in a tree or in a ground blind?

Tree
          Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

She was on the corn pile to the furthest right

Comment

Holy cow. Guess people don't like a hunting thread on a hunting forum????
              Lol

Comment

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Congrats.

Comment

We've all made bad shots. I know I have. Glad you found her

Comment

Nice job. Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Wow, congrats.

Comment

Glad you got her. Cool simulator pics of shot angle/entry.

Comment

Glad you got her, congrats

Comment

Glad you found her !

Comment

Working...
                              X