1st Annual "GOTT" Meat Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Annual "GOTT" Meat Hunt

As Spur said this was a while in the making. We tried earlier in the year to get things organized to do this and it finally came down to the last weekend of the Noth Zone deer season. Me and Steve, my good friend and Godfather to my kids, met up with Spur, Cameron, and Aspen at 9pm on Friday night in Sabinal. It was great to finally meet in person rather than over the phone with them both. We got to my camp nd got everything settled.

Cameron and I took off on the ATV's to pre-corn areas for in the morning. We end back at camp where we originally had corned by a water trough about 75yds behind camp where pigs had been hitting in the night. We mingled a little while others went to bed. Cameron and I got the red lens on the spotlight and went to scope out the trough. Low and behold there were pig eyes there! We slipped up in the moonlight to about 30 yrds fromthe trough and saw the pig eyes again, but he soon hauled tail due to my lease buddy coming into the ranch.

The next morning while taking Cameron to sit in my treestand we noticed that the hogs had cleaned up every single bit of corn (25lbs) from the night before. I re-corned the road again for him. Then Spur and I went to set him up. We got to location #1 to realized that someone had moved the tripod! So I went to take him to another tripod location. We get him set up and I was off to my lean-to by my mom's stand.

I walk up to my stand and nothing had touched my corn from the previous night. I was settled and about 7am I had 2 deer crunching. They were to my left side and one of them was a BIG mature doe. I eased around and readied myself for the shot. It was still early but barely enough light to see so I slowly drew my bow. I placed the pin on the hair right behind knuckle crease and squeezed the release trigger. The Shuttle T-Lock broadhead made the classic smack sound and the doe took off. It wasnt even 5 seconds and I heard her stumble down the steep river bank and crash in the rocks below. I was going to wait until I got down to get Spur but about 8:15am the classic sound of cara-cara's and buzzards enlightened me to the fact that they had spotted my doe and there was a swarm of about a dozen or so of them zeroing in on her. I went and got Spur pretty quickly and had him go get Aspen so she could have fun following the red ribbon blood trail. She was an easy find since she splatterd red all over the white rocks of the riverbed. Spur said Aspen was a little rusty on the track, but I would have that dog track for me anyday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 036 (Medium).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	24719243

Name:	1 054 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	24719244

That evening Cameron and I sat in my tree together and watched a zoo unfold before our eyes. We had 25 deer all within bow range. One real nice 2.5yr old 8pt that was 15-16" inside. There were events that happened that evening with Spur and Cameron, but those are "campfire" stories Back at camp Steve, a world class cook, bought and cooked us all ribeyes and porkchops with fries. Aspen even joined in the eating or clean up if you want to call it that, but she deserved it!

Name:	awe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	23818510

Now the FUNNY story:

The next morning I was in my treestand while Spur was in Pap's stand and Cameron was in Nanna's stand. My feeder went off WAY too early and I was watching 3 deer eat by moonlight and 4 deer eating the road corn. The all started chasing one another and eventually all went up the road. About 7:15am my stomach started to rumble and it hit me like the turbo lax hit Jim Dainels in Dumb and Dumber. I took off my rubber boots, took off my socks, drop trowel, and let er rip in one fluid motion from 20' up in the tree in 35 degree weather! I finished business and had dirty socks at the base of the tree. I didnt care if I saw a deer, I FELT BETTER!

Not 10 minutes later here comes a doe from the fence that divides our lease! She at the corn at 25yds away and with the camera rolling I sent the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut on its way. SMACK! perfect hit! She hoped the fence and ran in the bushes and crashed. I got down 20 minutes later and started the track. It wasnt a good blood trail but a semi followable one for 75yds and it stopped cold. Nothing. I scowered the area for about an hour when I finally made a huge loop and found here 200-250 yds from where she was shot. I hit the heart lungs and couldnt believe she went that far. To say the least, I wont be using Stingers again.

Name:	2007 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	24719245

We all had a great time and the 2nd Annual "GOTT" Meat Hunt will be at my ranch in Jackson County next year away from all of the POLITICS. Sorry Cameron and Spur that you had to see the POLITICS IN ACTION, but it is over there and I will have a NEW beginning! It was great meeting yall and we will keep this annual campfire event going for years to come! Yall are both CLASS ACTS! Give Aspen a rub and please dont go through D' Annis like that again!

Congrats on the doe's,sounds like ya'll had a blast

Comment

Rob....as I said before you and Steve were a blast to chill with this weekend. You took care of your business this weekend and just to be outdoors, work my dog and around Cameron and friends made it all worth while.... I was going to call you but my phone just gave up the ghost and flat stopped and I didn't have your number until I got home. Did yall get the trailer lights fixed?

I actually found some of the politics amusing don't sweat it..... kinda like a "deer hunter" General Hospital...... especially once I had a score card and knew the players....but the fact remands that property is awesome and once you leave the road and climb into the stand it all disappeared.....tell Nanna that next year she will have a "so nuff" hoss buck outside her condo. I would love to throw my name in the hat if you decide to go back another year.

Aspen had a blast...... yall spoiled her rotten..... definitely her first table eating experience.... I'm glad yall are dog people too. we all definitely need to hook up again soon. I need to redeem myself..... let me know when you go pig pokin on a day lease and it will be on.... I have too many bows....too many arrows and to short a memory.

We tried not to tear D'Annis up too bad going through it! D'Annis is certainly lovely this time of year.
      BTW.... Great looking LDP's! SOB.... theres more blood!
      Last edited by spur; 01-08-2007, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the does.

Comment

Sounds like it was a great hunt. Spur and Cambo are class a folks.

Comment

A few more photos to share........

Name:	Cowboy.JPG
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	23818521
            "No.... I don't think so cooter..... this is mine and rob's doe!"

Name:	Keith Bull.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	23818522
            "Get the 4 wheeler Rob.... I got this till you get back"

"Steve.....The man, the myth, the legend....... and camp cook!"

Comment

Congrats on the does

Comment

I could just see you 20' up that tree socks in hand!! LOL congrats on the meat hunt. Thats a hunt that you can never forget for all.

Comment

20' up power poop, TMI-TMI .

Congrats on the 2 does & what sounded like a great hunt.

Comment

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Comment

Great recap Rob. Congrats on the does!

Comment

Cool story,congrats on the does.

DJ

Comment

I too, hate sacrificing socks, but sometimes it's just gotta be done!

Sounds like ya'll had a great time. Congrats on a great weekend!

Comment

Great story. Congrats! I could pass on the mental image of Rob blowing mud from 20' up though.

Comment

Sorry I am just now posting. I have been trying to get ready to make it back to College Station! What a time, it was great to finally meet you Rob, and Steve you are a stand up guy. I hope we can hook up soon and get some more hunting done. I had a blast this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                              X