Hill Country Axis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill Country Axis

I have been trying to get an Axis buck with my bow for 4 years..... I have had opportunities in the past but it was always something (broken point, not big enough, no shot, etc) well it finally worked out this past Friday!

I sat in my stand 24 times this year trying to connect and on the 25th it happened!!! I had been getting pictures on the game cam of shooter bucks all year but they never showed up when I was in the stand. The pics kept me motivated to spend as much time as possible sitting and resisting the urge to pull out the rifle.

This weekend was also a special one because I was able to bring my father and wife with me. My wife is my hunting buddy but my father has only been with me a few times in the past and he loves it! Dad got his first Whitetail buck with his brand new rifle we gave him for an early Christmas present. My wife started out the weekend hunting for axis doe with her bow but they never showed up. She ended up stalking and shooting one with her rifle.

My hunt started out the same as most of them this year except for the COLD!! Man it was cold.. I was covered up with Whitetail doe and small bucks and I was actually starting to doze off when he came into view. Buck fever is an understatement!! I was shaking uncontrollably for the first minute or so before I got it together and then I had to wait for more than 5 minutes for the right shot. When I drew back a Whitetail fawn that was right under my stand busted me and got everything spooked and he started to leave. I started to panic and at the last second he stopped to look back and I let it fly. The shot was good and I immediately went back to uncontrollable shaking!! Sent out a few texts to get some back up in case I needed to track him and then I waited for 45 minutes before I climbed down. When my feet hit the ground I looked in the direction he ran and there he was!! He only made it about 80 yards and piled up. I was pumped that everything came together and I finally got that Axis buck I have been after for so long! It was a great weekend spent with my family in the beautiful Texas Hill Country!
    Attached Files

Congratulations!!!

Comment

Great Axis! Sounds like great weekend for everyone.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats nice axis

Comment

Very nice. Congrats. An axis buck is on my wish list.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice deer.

Comment

Oh yea!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats