Filled Tag #3 Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filled Tag #3 Tonight

North winds play havoc with my local place so I headed off to Wimberley to hunt--our setups and locations relative to bedding areas there work better with the north winds. Went to the first place and checked feeders and put out hand corn to keep them up-to-date on where to stick their heads. ;D Changed out the battery in one feeder as it was a bit lazy. Drove on to the other place out Hwy 2325 and as I drove into the pasture, bumped 2-3 does, then when I got thru the first bunch of cedar to the field, saw another doe, then a buck stood up at the treeline about 75-yds away. Not a shooter though, but had a pretty good body. On to the parking spot, got dressed, and walked to the "aluminum stand" so called because it is an aluminum ladder stand. Not a speck of corn to be seen under the feeder -- good sign. Put out my hand corn in 5-6 spots and climbed aboard. Winds were in my face at first, from the feeder, but later switched to a slight cross-wind from L to R.

45 minutes later the dinner bell rang, and about 15 minutes after that I see one coming about 50 yds away. Small buck--turns out to be one that has a normal 4-pt left side, but the right side looks like someone grabbed it in velvet and twisted it. It had a brow pointing straight out, a tiny G2 and G3 and the main beam was about 6-7" and pointed straight up. He proceeded to vacuum corn. About 10 minutes later I hear the "crunch-crunch" and a doe walks in from my right rear and stops dead downwind at one of the hand corn piles 12 yds out and proceeds to chow down. I decide she's the one, and spent the next 5-10 minutes waiting for her to get her head down and the buck too. Buck finally turned his back to me, and I drew, sort-of anchored, aimed, and released. Didn't like the sound of the hit, but the doe did a high kick and high tailed it. Watched her go out toward the deep canyon, but then about 40 yds out she circled left towards the road and I lost sight of her. Never heard a crash. In a minute, got down to check for the arrow as I couldn't see it from the stand. It was nearly buried in a cedar bush, and bloody end-to-end. Dark blood-- :-(

Went to the other side of the brush to pick up the blood trail and didn't find any, but her tracks were evident. Followed them about 20 yds and saw a white belly. Then noticed legs moving and she was taking some deep breaths. Went back for bow and made a sneak but when I got in range, she was DRT. Hit was high and back, but exited low and forward. Probably was blood but didn't need it as the tracks were good. Tagged her, loaded and drove to our designated field dressing spot, did the deed, and found the Bear Razorhead had zipped thru her paunch, two lobes of the liver, and the right lung. She's skint, quartered, and in the 'fridge awaiting boning in the AM.

Might have to consider retiring this arrow and BH as this makes 3 for it this year.

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats...

Comment

Nice Play by Play... She will eat good .

Comment

Working...
            X