First Mule Deer bites the dust in Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Mule Deer bites the dust in Colorado

I just rolled in last night from a trip to Eastern Colorado and was able to connect with my first mule deer. I've been on two solo high country hunts and struck out both times but made it happen on this trip. The first day me and a buddy stalked within range on the first buck we saw bed in a draw after they came off a big wheat field. I elected not to shoot as it was a mid 70's deer and was the first buck we stalked. We then tried to make a play on a 180" 4x4 and ended up blowing about 100 deer out of the canyon. We finished the day riding lots of country and ended up seeing several more solid deer and one that was at least 400 lbs with a big heavy 4pt on one side and a huge club sticking out the other. We wondered if this deer was hurt as it was lying by himself in the wide open. The next day we found out he was just fine as he was pushing does and probably every other buck on the prarie. The second morning we saw a big buck cut two does out and push them a couple of miles to a big wooded draw full of tamaracks. We followed them and watch them bed. After waiting three hours for the wind direction to change and pick up, we ended up slipping within 50 yards to have one of the does get up and start feeding. The big buck got up and was working on some trees when we slipped inside 50 yards. After several intense minutes, the buck started our way and my buddy ranged a hole in the brush at 45 yards. The bruiser stepped into the hole and I came to draw and pin gapped my 40 and 50 and dumped the string. To my disbelief, I grazed the top of a high 180's main frame 4x4 with double splits on his twos. The big buck and doe bolted and I was left trying to figure out what had happened. It was obvious I didn't bury the pin and was whiffed a chip shot. We then headed back to the big canyon the deer liked and saw the buck from the first day. I was ready to redeem myself and we tried to make a play on him. After getting within 200 yards, a doe picked us off and he as well as several others were headed about 4 miles down to the big draw. We decided to head down there as the wind was now 25 to 30 mph and ended up crawling up on a knob overlooking the draw. We saw several deer bedded and ended up sitting for an hour when I noticed this big 4x4 working along the drain. We decided we wanted to get a better look and started down to the next ridge. My buddy was 13 yards in front of me and as he rounded the hilltop he fell on his face in the grass. I knelt down as well and he whispered "We can shoot him from here". All I heard was shoot him so I knocked an arrow and we were pinned down for at least 10 minutes as the old brute tried figuring out what we were in the grass. My buddy ranged the deer and then me and gave me a 5 and 3. I set my movable to 53 and knew I would have to compensate slightly for the 30 mph quartering wind. The old buck finally looked the other way and turned slightly giving me a slight quartering shot. I drew and held the pin 2" behind his shoulder and dumped to the string only to watch the arrow and Rage Hypodermic find it's mark. What happened next was absolute carnage. The old buck wheeled shooting blood at least 6 yards and headed up the ridge all the while spraying a red mist in the son that left a 8 yard blood trail with all the wind. My buddy asked me what he was and all I could tell him was he was mature and "DEAD". We laughed at the miscommunication because I was certain he told me to shoot him. After a 70 yard trail, we were greeted with this old boy. He wasn't the biggest buck we saw; however, he was a great first. The old deer ended up going 170" and weighing just over 300 lbs. As you would know, we ended up going out the next morning to another spot and finding a monster on a doe. It turned out to be a great trip and one I won't forget.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	25036773

wow!! nice buck, thanks for posting

Comment

Deep forks! Beautiful! And great pic with the sunset!

Comment

good looking buck, congrats!

Comment

Very nice. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on the stout Mulie!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats! That's a dream hunt.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Wow. Congrats.

Comment

Man, that is a nice mulie. Congrats!

Comment

Great write up and congrats!

Comment

great mule deer, congrats

Comment

Awesome buck

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Man, that is an awesome Mulie, CONGRATS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X