Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ted View Post
    The details

The deer was taken in Jack County (North Texas).

I spent about 19 hours in the blind between Saturday morning and midmorning Sunday. Let’s just say I am a true believer in Ozonics now! The wind kept switching back and forth and I never once got busted.

I saw this deer early Saturday morning and he eventually came my way about 9:00 AM. I thought he was coming in to hit the feeders and was turned to shoot that direction. Watched him getting closer and closer, but he didn’t turn towards the feeders. At about 30 yards, I figured out that he was going to continue on behind me (because of the trails). I would have to stand and turn to shoot over the netting at the back of the blind. It was so calm that I was afraid to even move and let him know where I was, so I just had to watch him walk behind me at 15 yards.

Other deer came in Saturday evening and Sunday morning, but not this guy. Sunday morning, I had another good one (with Acorn tips) do almost the same thing, but he didn’t come all the way in. It’s like they weren’t really hungry…

We checked the cameras and the target deer or the acorn tipped buck was not on any of them. So about midday we were going out to set up a brush blind near where I had seen the two big ones. We hardly got started and saw acorn tipped bedded down. Decided to do a large circle and see if I could get a shot. We were about half way around when we see the original target deer bedded. Made a move around a corner and got a 21.5 yard shot while bedded.

The shot looked a little low as he ran off with the arrow sticking out and blood gushing. We watched him go about 75-100 yards and then backtrack. Last I saw him he was walking. We stayed put for about 10 minutes and then back out and went back around the way we had come in. After discussing the shot and reaction as he ran off, we felt pretty sure he was down but were going to go back to the cabin and give him so more time.

When got back to the gate to go to the cabin, I was thinking it’s been 45 minutes and felt the shot was good, so we decided to cut down a road through the area were we last saw him and check for blood to see if he crossed it. Hadn’t gone but about 50 yards and I stopped to look with binoculars and saw him laid up against a tree. Judging from the location, he was probably down on the initial run. The arrow passed through the heart and hit the offside foot (that’s why it didn’t keep going) and was sheared off about 5 inches up.

Estimated live weight of about 200 pounds, mainframe 6x6 with kickers – 19 total points, and gross B&C score of 182 7/8.

This by far the biggest deer that I’ve ever killed (or probably ever will again) and I got the buck of a lifetime by shooting him in the foot….
    Awesome!

Comment

Wow, congrats on an awesome buck!

Comment

all i see at noon is sweat dripping down my face

Comment

Heck of a deer!

Comment

Error

Comment

Buckuva lifetime right there.congrats!

Comment

Sweet buck.

Comment

Stud of a deer!

Comment

Temporary Euro mount until I get around to the shoulder mount.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Nice!!!!! Congrats!

Comment

Beautiful buck! Congrats!

Comment

Toad indeed!!!

Comment

Wow - not sure how I missed this. What a buck!

Comment

He's a stud for sure. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                                X