When Boars Attack!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Boars Attack!!!

So Friday night my friend and I go out looking to put a spot and stalk on some hogs. The first place we went was a bust except for 2 rattlesnakes that I killed.

My buddy had to work on Saturday so he went home but I decided to check a few hay patches next to my house that I have permission to hunt on. Sure enough there was a large group (29) out in the field. They are right in the middle of the hayfield so it takes forever to sneak up close enough for a shot but I finally get in position. I shoot the first one and it runs to the fence line and falls down. The herd groups up to try and figure out what happened.

One boar spots me in the pasture on my knees but can't tell what I am so here he comes. I quickly grab another arrow and when he gets to about 15 yards I draw back and hit him with the red light. He keeps coming so I shoot. The lighted knock hit a little far back and he turns and runs back to the group. They have made their way to the fence line where the first hog died.

I sneak out of the field and get to the fence line. After about 10 minutes the herd takes off across the field. I count 27. So I figure that the second one is down somewhere in the weeds and brush along the fence line.

I put my arrow back in the quiver and am about to go look for my arrows so I start to grab my flashlight when I hear something. I look up and here he comes right at me at about 20 yards. I draw my pistol (I never carry a pistol but after killing the rattlesnakes earlier in the night I decided to take it). I pull my bow up with my left hand and my pistol in the right and hit him with the red light and start shooting.

There are times when you need to be accurate and deadly with a firearm. With a pistol, I am neither... I keep pulling the trigger and he keeps coming. Finally I let out a shrill girl scream and he turns and runs through the brush into the next field. I shoot a couple more times, out of fright more than anything, and he runs to about 80 yards out and stops.

I get my binoculars up and can see that he is hit in 2 of his legs and also where the arrow passed through. My heart is beating 90 to nothing but other than that I'm ok. Surprisingly my underwear is even dry. I think the excitement is over. Boy was I wrong.

It's apparent that he is hurt bad so I decide to give him some time. I put the pistol away and go out to look for my arrows. I find them and find the first hog. I take pictures and get everything cleaned up. I look for the hog in my binos and see he is close to the fence line again. I also see another herd of hogs in the next pasture. I decide that while I'm waiting I might at well try to get on that group. I make a big circle around the injured hog and get in on the next group. Finally after about 30 minutes they get in range and I draw back. A well placed arrow dropped the sow in her tracks at 12 yards. The rest of the herd runs off. I take pics and retrieve my arrow and start looking around for the injured hog. I don't see him anywhere and assume that he has finally fell somewhere in the hay patch. I walk up close to where I last saw him and look through my binos. There he is. Down in the field.

This time I draw my pistol and get out my flashlight as I approach. I know I am approaching his head but I don't want to circle because then I would be down wind. I get to about ten yards and notice his eyes are closed. That means he's still alive. I aim the pistol and fire. He jumps up and starts running. This time away from me. I drop my bow and take off after him. The shoes on the other foot now big boy.

Now you would think a two legged hog couldn't outrun a two legged man but you might be wrong. After about an eighty yard run he is out of pistol range. I stop and so does he. I decide to try and circle him and am able to close the distance. I finally get in close enough for another shot and drop him. Bye bye environmental terrorist.

[ATTACH]520529[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]520530[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]520531[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
      Finally I let out a shrill girl scream and he turns and runs through the brush into the next field.
      Great story, my favorite part obviously. If it were me this would have happened a lot sooner lol.

Comment

Great write up!! I was into it while reading!

Comment

Great story! Congrats, those adrenaline rushes will make you an addict!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Lmao

Comment

Awesome. Glad your shorts stayed dry!

Comment

sounds fun!

Comment

Thanx man, I needed that.

Comment

Awesome writeup!

Comment

Awesome, congrats!

Comment

Man that's an awesome story. I'm still laughing at the girl scream comment. . One would not think a two legged hog would be very swift, me and a buddy walked up on a spined hog and he popped up and came at us. Two guys with ARs werent his best friends. It was more of a bluff but it caught us off guard, he was shredded puerca after that.

Comment

Yeah he was still very mobile. This wasn't quite as scary as the time I got ran over by a deer but it was close.

Comment

You need to spend some time at the gun range. Congrats on the pig kills!

Comment

Working...
                              X