Axis buck down!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis buck down!!

May 18th, 2012 I shot my first axis buck and what a hunt it was!

I have been going to the Baker 3 ranch in Rocksprings, TX and as some of you know you most likely will see many animals but there is so much territory to cover.

2012 was the third year in a row I have hunted there and this was my first time to shoot an animal. A friend and I had some stands for pop ups built and I had a perfect spot picked out where last year I had 30 animals come in the last night of the hunt but it was too dark to get a shot off. Well we got there and to my surprise the animals were not there. Anyhow after two full days of hunting my buddy and I spotted a nice buck and started a spot and stalk. We saw a nice buck (the one I shot) with about 8 does. This was in a little draw where the animals went to graze. My buddy went south and I split up the other way so we could try and get close to them. So I walked straight through brush about 700 yards and still didn't see any animals. I stopped behind a mesquite bush and heard some rocks click....

I saw an axis doe pop out and she was moving pretty quick from left to right at 10 yards! So I drew back hoping another animal was going to come out. Then my buck stepped out, I stood on the tip of my toes to shoot over the bush as he was walking and made an ok shot. I pulled my release, my bowtech shot smooth and the G5 striker went right through his guts I knew it passed right through. I knew right where it went. The 7 does after him ran off too. He took off running. I went over to my arrow and it smelled like guts. I looked only for 10 yards around my arrow and my buddy and I decided to leave him overnight because my placement wasn't that good.

So, next morning 12 friends and I went out to find my buck. They spotted footprints and followed them even though I was pretty sure that's we're the does went. I walked for about 300 yards towards where my buck had gone and saw my buck jump up out of the brush and try to run away. He didn't go that far and laid down. I knocked another arrow and stalked up on him. I shot again. This arrow skipped off his back quarter (headed to the goods) and sunk into the back of his head. He was really hurting now and tried to getbaway again! I knocked another and before I shot I noticed another friend was right in way! He took off another 100 yards.

The friend thought I was going to shoot a rabbit, he didn't see my buck. So I hollered for him to move and be ran out of the way and I shot again right in the heart. This was the fatal shot. He measures 32.5" x 33"! A friend from the hunt took my animal and did the mount. I think he did great, he is also making 3 pillows, and I can't wait to see those.

It was an incredible hunt!! I will have to calm my nerves next time and hopefully down the next one with the first shot.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Aggie_bowtech; 03-29-2013, 08:32 PM.

Stand
    Attached Files

Comment

Buck down
      Attached Files

Comment

Mount
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks great! I hope to get one someday.

Comment

Buck down 2
            Attached Files

Comment

Mount 2
              Attached Files

Comment

Congrats nice one

Comment

Last one
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice buck.

Comment

Wow!nice buck

Comment

Really nice axis! Good eating too

Comment

Nice shooting & stand

Comment

Thanks. We built the stand so it can be taken apart easily and fit in a truck. Here is another pic of it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X