Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Saturday night at the Hogboy Hilton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday night at the Hogboy Hilton

I had Benben and DeadeyeDeb out Saturday to help me with some feeder work and hog control. We pulled all of the camera cards and went through the pics. It looked like spring training for hogs was in full swing, as we saw sows with piglets and and several different boars. Just after dusk seemed to show a lot of promise, so we headed to the stands at 5:00 planning on staying until a couple of hours after dark.

No action as the sun was setting, but I could see almost full moon coming out of the east and welcomed the added light. Around 7:45 I could hear something shuffling into the feeder, but with the moonlight filtering through the pecan branches, could not make anything out of the shadows. Finally I pick up the dark form of a pig slowly coming in. He ate a couple of bites of corn, then didn’t like something as he took a couple of steps away. The golden nuggets were too much temptation for him, as he came back and started hoovering them up.

I stood and drew my bow and again he took a couple of steps away, then stopped again. I hit the switch on the Marauder and the green light showed him quartering away at 20 yards. This was good, but as usual, the bad was my mature eyes picking him up in the peep. I got the 20 pin settled on him and touched the release. The tracer nock lit and he tore out of there with it stuck in him, tipped with a 100g Muzzy. I watched him and his signal light run about 80 yards into the brush, turn left and slow to a walk. I texted Ben and Deb that I had an arrow in one and then headed back to the house.

We took up the trail where I had seen the pig enter and soon after were on blood. We followed some blood and at one point I smelled pig, but continued to look for next blood. Finally Deb spotted a black form in the brush and climbed in and shouted, “ I found him and he’s big.” She was right, Ben and I were both grunting to drag him out of the thick. He wasn’t an old boar and not much for cutters, but weighed 170-180 in my estimation. He must have been angling away pretty good, because I hit him behind the ribs and the broadhead broke the skin on his off shoulder.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb23 boar tbh.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	24951973

Looks like there will be some targets around after Bownanza. These pigs came in after I shot the boar. My platform is 15feet up in that big oak behind the feeder.

Name:	Feb23 sounder tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	24951975

Name:	Feb23 pigs tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	24951976

I want to thank Benben and DeadeyeDeb for hanging out with the Hogboy, helping with chores, and tracking my bowkill pig.

nice porker - congrats

Comment

Good job Gary. Look forward to seeing you guys at Bownanza.

Comment

Way to go Gary,wish I coulda made it out.Talk to you this week.

DJ

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Congrats Gary!

Comment

Congrats Gary!

Comment

Congrats! Nice hog!

Comment

Nice job on him!

Comment

Congratulations! Now many fleas did you get from it?

Comment

Congrats!!!! Nice Porker!!!!!!

Comment

Dang nice. Congrats on the pig.
                        Sorry i had to bail at the last minute.

Comment

Nice work man! Congrats

Comment

Congrats Gary! I'll make the next one.

Comment

ATA boy. Always a great time. Thanks to Deb for the breakfast, snack sticks and cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X