Management 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management 10

This year has been mostly a rebuilding year for me. While I had big deer in my area they were all a year or two from being ready. I decided last weekend to punch my "Trophy" tag on a old Mature 10. We have known this deer for several years...he just never developed into what we had hoped.

I bought one of the Covert Special Black Ops cameras this year and have really used it to scout. I've stayed out of my primary spot and only gone in to feed unless something interesting showed on camera. I spent most of my time chasing another big management 8 at my secondary stand (that deer was a ghost) several hundred pics of him but never seeing him in person..but that is another story.

This 10 - I actually haven't had this deer on my Covert camera at all this year, until just after Christmas...

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICwrfjdj123.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	24942669

So the Weds 26th I blazed a trail back to the ranch. Thursday morning I was settled in an hour before daylight in hopes the old 10 pictured above would return. The feeder through @ 7:00 and many of the usual suspects showed including a big 4.5 yr old 10 I have ear marked for next year. I decided I would sit as long as I could this morning to see if the old 10 would show. Just before 9 - he came trotting in from the North and promptly took over the feeder.
    This deer loved Rice Bran Meal..and after a few bites of corn he parked himself over the tub of Rice Bran. Here is a text picture from my Covert camera when he looked up as I came to full draw.

Name:	PICey373ue.JPG
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	24942668

Once he put his head back down I settled the pin and tripped the release. Admittedly this shot was a little / no a lot back of where I had intended. My heart sank as I knew I had just center punched the liver and was mentally going over the shot and my up coming tracking job when I saw his legs start to fail. I had already mentally prepared myself for a 4 hr wait and then watched him go down on camera. I told the good lord thanks I owe ya one..and still gave him an hour before slipping in with my .357 ready just in case.

Below is the video..thanks for watching.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8t82aB6B-Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8t82aB6B-Q[/ame]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Archery1st; 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM.

Congrats Bruce

Comment

Great deer and video, congrats!

Comment

very nice

Comment

great deer! Glad it all worked out for you!

Comment

Great Buck Bruce, Congrats

Comment

Great job Bruce! He went down fast. Did you get the liver or lungs or what?

Comment

He moved a foot while the arrow was in flight. Congrats!

Comment

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Comment

pretty good deer in my book. is he a "management buck" because of the missing left brow and the short right one? just curious

Comment

Great buck and video. Sure is fun to watch them fall. Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Great job Bruce! He went down fast. Did you get the liver or lungs or what?
                        I center punched the liver as i thought...I have no idea why he went down so fast. But I'll take it.

Here is a look at the arrow appears to have been dipped in a dark red bucket of paint.

Name:	20121227_092706.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	24155331

Comment

Excellent! I was hunting with Saltwaterslick in Delrio and he punched one in the liver with a 125 gr. Magnus. it went about 50 yards and DRT.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett-TX View Post
                            pretty good deer in my book. is he a "management buck" because of the missing left brow and the short right one? just curious
                            He's a 6.5 yr old mature buck and is a trophy in that regard. Under our current management plan he also counted as my trophy. However we have much better deer with lots more potential. At 6.5 years old and 125" he was never going to be 150 plus. Therefore he was good buck to take out of the herd = Trophy / Management.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                              He's a 6.5 yr old mature buck and is a trophy in that regard. Under our current management plan he also counted as my trophy. However we have much better deer with lots more potential. At 6.5 years old and 125" he was never going to be 150 plus. Therefore he was good buck to take out of the herd = Trophy / Management.
                              gotcha! thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X