My First Mexico Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Mexico Buck

When we arrived at the ranch on Saturday and pulled the cards we did not have any recent and consistent photos of any of the target management bucks. Backbone was hunting a trophy and on Saturday evening saw a nice management buck in the vicinity of where his target buck had been roaming. The decision was made for Backbone and I to hunt the same blind until we could locate another management buck.

Sunday morning Backbone and I hunted in the same blind. We had lots of action including 2 buck fights but none of the target bucks were seen. A red and a black pig showed up and started eating our corn. Luckily they left when Mitchbcs drove by and they didn’t come back.

That afternoon while scouting and hunting pigs we spotted a nice management buck. As soon as I saw him I knew I wanted a shot at him. Since it was too late in the afternoon to brush in a blind in the area the buck was seen, the decision was made for Backbone and I to hunt the same blind again. While Backbone and I were hunting, Mitchbcs and Dwkern put up and brushed in a blind in the vicinity of where the buck was spotted.

Sunday evening Backbone and I saw a lot of deer again but none of the target bucks. The same 2 pigs came back. This time Backbone was prepared. He had a slingshot and some rocks. First shot hit the black pig in the back. He ran a large circle and went back to eating. Backbone’s second rock hit him squarely between the eyes. This time he only shook his head and went back to eating. The third rock was aimed at the red pig and it squealed and both pigs ran off. A little while later both pigs came back. We decided that one needed to be shot. Backbone drilled the black one and it ran about 40 yard and died. We thought that was it for the pigs but 15 minutes later the red pig came back. This time it was my turn and I drilled the red pig and it ran about 40 yards and was done.

On Monday morning we woke to howling winds as a cold front roared in. I thought there is no way we are going to see deer but I didn’t know Mexico deer. On the cold windy ride to the blinds we were already seeing deer. When we got in the blind deer started coming in but were really spooky and kept running off due to not being able to hear with the high winds and the noise the blind was making. A little while later 2 sows and 3 half grown piglets came in. They were really vacuuming up the corn so the decision was made to shoot one so they would leave. I shot the closest sow. She ran off but due to the howling winds the others just watched her run off and went back to eating. Mitchbcs said “you better shoot the other sow before they eat all of our corn”. I shot her and they all ran off. A little while later the piglets came back but were run off shortly by deer. Does and smaller bucks fed through until we saw the target buck. He came in and left 3 times before offering a broadside shot. When he was finally broadside I took the shot at 7 yards. The arrow hit a little higher than I wanted but got both lungs and the arrow was very bloody. We waited about 30 minutes and looked for the deer. The blood trail was sparse due to the high hit but the deer only went about 60 yards. My first glimpse of the deer was a huge main beam sticking up. This deer had no ground shrinkage. The deer was later scored by Angatti at 134 3/8. This is my first Mexico buck and my largest buck to date.

I feel privileged to have gone on my first Mexico hunting trip with such an experienced and knowledgeable Mexico hunter as Mitchbcs.
    Last edited by ken; 09-29-2022, 08:45 PM.

Nice buck. Congrats

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Great story and even better buck! Congratulations on a beautiful Mexico monster

Comment

Very Nice Buck, Congrats

Comment

Good job...Nice buck!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats on a great Buck

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Good Juan!

Comment

Congrsts to you and nilla

Comment

Great deer. Congrats!!

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Great write up and very nice buck! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X