Jack County Doe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack County Doe

Took a quick day trip up to Jacksboro on Thursday. First sit in the recently moved ladder stand setup. They decided to put a big gas pad where the old setup was. Gas pad is 100 yards from my feeder now, and the deer are so used to it already that they don't stop eating when a tank truck pulls in to fill up.

Footsteps in the dark before first light. It was the big tall buck I've only seen in pics. He was impressive in person, to say the least. He, his nubbin buddy and forky friend hung out for about an hour. He's by far the biggest bodied deer I've ever had under me. He tempted me with every position possible.

He looked at my several times and reminded me that I've already tagged a buck out there.

They moved on eventually. The next hour was quiet, but I kept seeing does filtering through the trees around me. Nothing came into the feeder though. The big button buck came back in for more corn. I watched him with an itchy release finger for about ten minutes. He snapped his head up and laid his ears back. A yearling came trotting down the treeline to the feeder. Momma was surely behind!

Clipped my release on and readied the Z28. A good sized doe skirted the treeline under my stand and stepped out at 5 yards. She looked right up at me. She eased down and took a few more steps. She snapped her head back up at me. We locked eyes for about thirty seconds. The ladder is about 20' up but the lack of leaves right now leaves you a little exposed. She flicked her tail and walked on into the feeder pushing the button out. I drew with her back to me and settled my pins on her. She circled the feeder again to push the nubbin away. Wrong move.

I sent the Jackhammer on its way at 16 yards. It hit her hard mid body. She bolted out of there straight away from me with blood spraying out of the entrance side. The sweet sound of a deer crashing into dead leaves soon followed.

I waited about ten minutes and took up the trail blood trail I could see from the tree. The blood trail was superb. This was five deer from where she last stood.

There was blood on the ground and on vines four feet high.

75 yards later she was out.

She was a very healthy doe. Jay (justhrowit) snapped an LDP back at camp for me and assisted in the skinning and quartering job.

I'm having a very good season by my standards...two does, two bucks and two hogs, and I've yet to touch a gun like I have the last couple of seasons. I'm blessed with a few places to hunt, so I'm far from done.

Thanks for following along.

Congratulations. That's a whooooole lot of sausage

Comment

Congrats Larry

Comment

Great shot. Congrats on the slick head!

Comment

dog gone Cactus Larry, is that tall buck 13"

Comment

congrats

Comment

Working...