147 1/4" 8 pt down!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

147 1/4" 8 pt down!!

My dad called a few weeks ago and asked which “cull” buck I’d like to shoot. (I put the word “cull” in quotations because it’s definitely no “cull” in my book, although it is true that we are removing these genetics from our herd because of undesirable qualities) I replied without hesitation that I’d like to go after the big, narrow 8. I couldn’t wait to get down there and try to put him on the ground. I was beginning to get discouraged after a few unsuccessful weekends, but remained determined. I decided to head south on Sunday afternoon in hopes of getting a shot at him before he could break any tines off. Sure enough, he came in on Sunday evening and presented a broadside shot at 13 yards, but it was too dark and I decided to hold off for a better opportunity. Yesterday morning that opportunity came. He was standing broadside 18 yards away when I touched off my release. The deer kicked and darted off in the brush.

We waited 20-30 minutes before getting out to look, and quickly became discouraged by the lack of blood trail. There was blood on my arrow, but it wasn’t what I would classify as “good” blood. We decided to back out and come back in a few hours. A few long, slow hours passed by before we went out and got on the trail… There was really good blood for about 50-60 yards- bright red, foamy blood. I was expecting to find him piled up at anytime, but it wasn’t to be. The blood trail diminished to basically nothing, and we lost all blood after about 150 yards. We decided to back out and call some tracking dogs in our area. They showed up about an hour later and the dogs were able to find the deer within 15 minutes in bush so thick that we would’ve never been able to find him. Thank goodness for those dogs!!

He ended up scoring 147 ¼”- one heck of a cull buck!!!!!

Spread: 16
    MB: 22 ¼ 23 ¼
    G1: 3 2 ½
    G2: 13 ¾ 13 ¼
    G3: 9 ¾ 10 ¼
    Abnormal: 3 ¼
    H1: 4 ½ 4 ½
    H2: 4 ¼ 4
    H3: 3 ½ 3 ¾
    H4: 2 ¾ 2 ¾
    Attached Files

WOW!
    Nice Specimen

Comment

Dang cull

Comment

I love those big 8's

Comment

Good buck!

Comment

That is a great buck. Congrats. I love those curved in tines.

Comment

Great buck!! Congrats!!

Comment

Great 8! I love those big typical 8's...My biggest deer to date, bow or gun was an 8 last year on the second day of bow season

Comment

How old did y'all have him?

Comment

Congratulations on a fine buck and yep a dog called in early like that, can sure make for a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                      How old did y'all have him?

Comment

Nice buck, congrats.

Comment

Love those big 8's. Congrats

Comment

Pretty Deer. Man I love when those times are that long and Fall Forward. Congrats man

Comment

Tell me more about the shot. Where did you hit him, what did the autopsy reveal, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X