deer are scared of their own shadow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deer are scared of their own shadow...

i have an issue i have never seen before... the deer on our place are scared of their own shadow... they come out ot eat and the whole time they are on full alert... just jumpy and when they walk away of even coming in they are almost i a stalking mode... they look up and do the leg stomp thing constantly... not looking at the stand or really anything spefic just general scanning... they take ten steps or or and stop and do the looking around and leg stomping thing again every ten yards and the snorting can be heard everywhere and in every direction... im thinking a big cat or preditor or something like that... anyone with any experance with something like this or do yall have a theory.... man im up against it here cause if its pochers i may not be a free man much longer....

id say they strong smell human scent , possibly a yote but they usually dont hang around when a yote is lurking, especially any mother doe's,

Comment

They do these things when danger is around bro.

If they start stomping the ground , scanning the brush or woods, ears pointed back and forth and moving their head from side to side they`re still not sure of the danger but they do know there is something wrong...

Even when these feet noises seems to be not too loud, stomping can be heard from deer even 100 yds away believe ir or not, it`s a way to pass the alert message, this way if there`s more deer around they all will be alert of the possible danger and all of them will try to identify if the danger is inminent or not.

Most of the times the one who felt, heard or saw the danger will be more alert than the others, that deer can stomp the ground, scan, snort and even raise a bit it`s tail but still remain in the place, the others may keep eating and looking up from time to time and still remain in the site.

This behavior could be due to a poacher or a big predator (cougar, bear etc.) around or close so I will advice you to be alert too.

When they realize that they`re indeed in danger and that they must get out of the place they raise the tail and run quick as hell, either snorting or not while doing this.

I saw does that can run like crazy among others heading to the brush with tail up like they were scared and the rest remain in calm and times when same behavior leads to a sudden run of all, perhaps, besides their movements they can transmit kinda particular danger scent or odor, this might be possible.

Hope this helps

Comment

When I said poacher I meant another person...just to clarify

Comment

Are you hunting the wind? If your scent is blowing down their direction they will do this every time...

Sometimes when you hear hoof beats you should think horse, not zebra.

Id make sure im not the problem, before i started blaming bears, mountain lions, poachers, aliens, wookies....

Rule out yourself first.. Make sure the wind is in your face, don't walk by your feeders, use some different shampoo, detergent, try a cover scent...

Comment

coach i have hunted nie on to 55 years and believe me i have a hint as to whats going on... dont have all the answers but have a general idea of how to do it...
            proudredneck is pretty much dead center talking about their reaction... in fact i have been bow only the last ten or so years but im thinking about getting the ole 22-250 oiled up... thanks guys for all your input... its very frusterating...
            i am aware of the fact that oil has an odor...

Comment

Well in that case..

Id start throwing out game cams in random trails and water holes for predators, and roads coming in for peeps who go sneak in the night...

Comment

maybe its you, maybe its a dead animal carcass in the area, maybe a wookie, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                X