Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mason Buck Down

Better late than never.

I have been fortunate to hunt as a guest on my FIL's lease for the last 11-12 years, with the other lease members treating me as one of them. Over this time, as the population has allowed, I have been able to kill a couple of great bucks (Mid 140's 10 & Mid 130's 8).

When August rolled around, the trail cameras were put in the field to see how the deer were looking, especially with the rains coming at the right times. He had a few shooters in his area and I was anxious to find out which one he would be after. When October rolled around, neither of us were able to get away on opening weekend, but didn't matter since most of the deer werent moving. The next weekend rolled around and I figured that I wouldn't have the chance since my wife had prior engagements, but i was able to head out on Saturday afternoon. Shortly after I walked into the camp house, my FIL handed me a stack of photos and said here is what's on the list. One of the bucks on the list was called Shovelhead, due to his tines slightly laying out off the beams, and one that I have always liked. There were no sightings of any mature bucks, but I was able to kill a mature doe. Had to skip the next two weeks, but when we were finally able to get back out it was the weekend of the first strong front (11/26). This time the whole family came, and my wife was able to sit with me. Friday night the deer were moving and we had an exciting sit with around 20-25 different deer. Saturday morning was slow with only 4 deer coming in to the set-up, but was for the best since my wife slept in. Saturday evening we were expecting the same kind of movement as the evening before, but were dissapointed when we only had 4 deer, with the oldest being a 3yo. There was a doe and fawn that would come in and eat, then get pushed off, only to circle around the backside of the stand and come in again. At around 6:15, I had basically given up hope that we would see anything else when the two young bucks at the feeder come to alert and look behind the stand. I assumed it was the doe and fawn again, until I saw the look on my wife's face at the same time she said there he is. He came in and proceded to feed facing directly away from me for about 10 minutes. Finally the other buck started feeding behind him and got a little to close, which caused him to wheel around to push the other buck away. Once he settled down and started feeding again, he was slightly quartering away and I let the arrow loose. I cant explain the excitement in the stand as my wife was just as excited as I was. I can't thank my FIL or the other lease members enough for the opportunities I have received over the years. FYI, as of last weekend my wife now has her own bow and we have a cull picked out for her.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Shovelhead 2 (Website).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	24935329
    Last edited by Rcwood; 11-14-2012, 03:10 PM.

congrats those are all great deer

Comment

Congrats on burying Shovelhead.

Comment

Awesome bucks,congrats!

DJ

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

good looking buck congrats.

Comment

what did he end up scoring?

Comment

Congrats

Comment

We put a quick tape on him that night and got low 130's.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice one

Comment

Great buck. His rack is very cool looking. Congrats.

Comment

Comgratulations.

Comment

Working...
                              X