• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice buck for sure!

Comment

Tracking Dog in WilCo

Originally posted by BlacktailSlayer View Post
      Well I finally got some time to go out to the lease to hunt! Woohoo!!!Between the new child born this October, work, and other obligations this year has been tough on the hunting trips. I wasn't wasting anytime of this hunting time! Decided to do an all day sit yesterday. Put out the Frank's Doe Pee and waited for some action. The day started off good with 3 small bucks coming in to the set. One 7 point literally was around my set for an hour looking for the hot doe. He finally got fed up and left. After about 9:30 the action completely stopped, but since the bucks were chasin' I decided to tough it out. Well finally around 2:00 another 7 point came in and sniffed around until he was frustrated and then left. Then more waiting..... until about 5:00p.m. two does came thru skirting the feeder area and started to circle the feeder downwind. Then I look up and an 8-point was right in front of my blind at about 10 yards. He came out of nowhere but was obviously trailing the two does. He was limping pretty badly (He had a puncture on his front leg right at the joint) probably over a disagreement over another doe i'm guessing. He was a respectable buck for the area (Have seen many bigger deer in the area) but decided this was the one meant for me. He took about 10 minutes to give me a good shot. So I put my pin right on the heart area and released. Well I'm not sure what happened but my arrow went way high and struck the buck near high lung area. Was very disappointed!!! Waited all this time and botched the shot!!! I knew this would make for a tough track, but had to find him. Well it got dark quick and I couldn't fnd any blood. So i call it a night. I knew it would be very cold last night and I changed my schedule around so I could go find him in the morning. Well morning came and I was back on the trail. I spent the night going over the situation. The arrow obviuosly penetrated the artery below the spine (Arrow was dripping with blood) so i knew the buck would expire soon. So I followed the tracks and found a few spots of blood. But then the blood stopped. I looked for another 2 hours with no luck. Well i though all hope was lost, so I decided to go back from the starting point. I followed the tracks and the blood I had already found and noticed that the blood spatter indicated the deer was coming back towards the feeder area! What!! (He must have doubled back at some point) sure enough I found another spot of blood going down the fenceline. WooHoo!!! There he was piled up not 60 yards from the feeder. The grass was so high that I walked by him nearly half a dozen times!! Needless to say I am very happy with him. Not a monster, but a good hill country buck!! 14.75" inside width and GOT HIM WITH MY PSE!!!!

Don't hesitate to call me if you get in a bind. I've gotta great Lacy dog that can help you out. I'm here in Round Rock. 361-726-5506....Justin

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by jtslush View Post
            Don't hesitate to call me if you get in a bind. I've gotta great Lacy dog that can help you out. I'm here in Round Rock. 361-726-5506....Justin
            Thanks Justin - Will make sure to reach out to you next time!

Comment

Working...
            X