Lavaca county (I like em trashy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lavaca county (I like em trashy)

First off I lost my lease in Gonzales county this year due to the oilfield in the area,landowner decided not to lease due to having over 10 wells in production on the place.Well with no place to hunt I set up a feeder on my dads land about 300 yds out of the Yoakum city limits,my dads had this place for over 30 years and has never seen any deer on it,few signs of hogs every now and then. I set up the feeder on Sept.15th there abouts,let it run for about a month didn't worry about checking the camera until mid October,boy was I surprised.For the last month I've probably had 10 different bucks show up due to the rut going also with a few does here and there.Last sunday my son and i set up a treestand 22yds southn of the feeder.
    I finally decided to try and hunt it yesterday evening,11/11/12.I got all settled in by 4:00 feeder goes of at 4:30 all quiet until about 5:30 when a small 12'' 8 pt comes out walks around the feeder but does not stay around he senses something isn't right he finally walks off in to the about 30 yds to the south.About 10 min. later I see another buck come out of the brush about 60 yds away making his way toward the feeder,I pick up my binos and see it is what I thought was 1 of trash bucks I had on camera,grap my bow and get ready.By this time the little 8 comes back out they both puff up to each other,but the little buck doesn't want to get whipped by the bigger buck so he backs down,now the bigger trashy buck is working his way right underneath my tree between me and the feeder(feeder is 22yds),approx.maybe 10yds(and thats strechting it).I stand,draw and try to line up my peep it's almost to dark to see thru my peep,I try and focus on lining it up get the pin settled and hit the release.Heard the good twack,the buck hauls tail,I grap my binos and try to find my arrow on the ground see it covered with blood.I waited about 10 min.before climbing down to check my arrow and look to see if I have a blood trail,found my arrow broken off about 3" from the nock both pieces laying on the ground beside each other.I found a good blood trail and tracked it maybe 40 to 45yds.When I found him I realized I did not have this buck on my camera yet another new buck for the area.Made a few phone calls (my son,dad brothers and other friends),everyone was amazed at the size of this buck,if I were to guess I would say he is a 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 year old buck he was all scared up from fighting and was limping when he walked in on me.The buck may not be much to alot of people but these freaks always get my blood pumping.
    Equipment used PSE X-force Dream Season,Easton Axis arrows 340's and 100gr Carbon Express XT-4 blade broadheads.
    Attached Files

Congrats

Comment

Nothing wrong with a little trash. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on the buck. Trashy buck indeed!

Comment

Nice one. I live about 300 yards outside city limits also. It's amazing what kind of bucks I see sometimes. Not very many, but usually 1 nice buck every year or so.

Comment

Congrats
            my place is south of halletsville. my Father in law was down there last week and he saw a couple of small young bucks. I am headed down there this weekend.

Comment

Cool buck. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats John! Cool looking buck!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice

Comment

Cool buck! Congrats!

Comment

Awesome buck!! Congrats!!

Comment

Good looking trash,congrats!

DJ

Comment

Well done Sir for a fellow Yoakum boy.

Comment

that's an awesome lavaca county brawler. very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X