Shackleford County Report (Nov 2-4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shackleford County Report (Nov 2-4)

I was in Shackleford County this past weekend (Nov. 2-4), bow hunting on a dear friends place 3.5 miles from Albany, TX. Albany is a special place for me because I used to live there. I served as the youth minister at the First Baptist church from 2002 - 2009. The time that I serve there, I was able to hunt the land free of charge, on my friend and deacon, Mr. Rick. What a blessing as most of you can image! Those of you that go to church and have the means, take care of your ministers that enjoy the great outdoors; take them hunting and fishing, or give them access to your land; it means a lot and I know the FATHER will bless you for your blessing of HIS servants!

Anyway, as a matter of fact, I my first deer I ever killed was taken on Mr. Rick’s place. I shot it with a rifle, which I know disappoints some of you bow hunting purist, but I was a new hunter; and didn't we all start gun hunting? Yes, we did and you know it! Anyway, when the dust had settled under my feeder, their lay my 17 pointer with a gross score of 185! It ranked 19th in the state and 9th in the region; according to the Texas Big Game Awards! I got my picture in the Texas Trophy Hunter Association Magazine. Did I mention it was my first deer ever and taken 3.5 miles from Albany; no high fence or protein feeders neither! Yes I am ruined for life which my friend Joel can testify too in regards to my lack of hunting discipline! Ha! I will post that picture of that buck sometime soon for all of you to see. Anyway, Mr. Rick gave me and my best friend Joel permission to hunt several times this season so we jumped at the chance to hunt.

The Hunting Report: We bow hunted Saturday morning, evening, and Sunday morning. I filmed while Joel hunted. We are beginning a hunting ministry called “Obsession Outdoors” so we are filming this season hunts. Sorry for the shameless plug!

We hunted in a pop up tent in front of corn we had thrown out. We rattled a few times, but got no reaction; we figured it was still too early to rattle. We saw 4 bucks and 3 doe. The bucks were in a bachelor group that was made up of young deer. Two of them had good potential to be good bucks in 2 or 3 years. The biggest was a 8 pointer that had about a 14 inch spread was tall. The other had about a 13 inch spread and was a 7 pointer. We almost took the bigger one, because Shackleford County is a 2 buck county this year, but my friend Joel wanted to let him get a few more years under his belt before he would harvest this buck. The Doe came in after the bucks had gone on. We figure that the bucks were beginning to become an annoyance to the doe and this was why we did not see them until the bucks had went to bed down or eat in the winter wheat fields all around us. We saw no turkey, but did notice there tracks in the area. I love turkey! Not so much to eat, I just like watching them, so when I saw tracks I got excited, we are hoping to get a Spring Turkey hunt on Mr. Rick’s or somewhere in Shackleford County.

Well, that is the report. Joel (Spitfire) and I will be returning to Shackleford the week of Nov 16-20. We hope the rut will be in full swing! So be watching for that post.
    Last edited by Milkman76; 11-11-2012, 04:53 PM.

good luck this weekend!

Comment

Good luck. I love Shackelford County and really miss hunting there.

Post us a picture of the monster you killed out there.

Comment

Working...
      X