Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12-point droptine buck goes down

Another Ohio buck takes a nap.

I passed this buck up as a 3 1/2 year old slick 8 in the 2011 season so he could get another year and more size on him. I watched him from afar this summer as he grew and he definitely got some more size to him. Still had a basic 8 point frame, but with bigger everything, plus a drop tine and 3 kickers he didn't have last year. I lost track of him for a few months in early fall, then all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago he shows up a few times on one of my trail cameras. That was my signal to get after him. I hunted for him hard over the last week and hadn't seen hide nor hair of him, and very little overall rutting activity so far. Yesterday morning I was in my climber in an area that has been good to me in the past, a deep woods funnel, and I intended to hunt all day. About 7:30 a.m. I heard a deer coming from my left, and saw a doe loping towards me, with a good buck behind her. I immediately recognized him as "drop-kick", the name I gave him. They were coming toward me at a pretty good clip so I had to act fast, standing up, grabbing my bow, and I drew as his head went behind a tree right before he came into the open. He was moving fast, so I bleated to stop him, not once, not twice, but 3 times (louder each time), until I finally got him to stop at 30 yards long enough for me to put one in the boiler room. He ran about 50 yards and crashed. He's one of the best bucks I've taken in Ohio, and I"m tickled pink with him. With his 4 non-typical points, he rough scores 158" gross. There are some 2011 and 2012 trail-cam pics of him below.

By the way, this is in southeast Ohio on private land. I'd rather not say which county, but it's just pretty typical southeast Ohio deer hunting, lots of big, wooded hills, a few crops here and there. It's not Iowa, but there are some pretty nice bucks every now and then.

Some of these pics were taken in the woods right where he died. Lighting wasn't the greatest there, so we took some more pics when we brought him out.

2011 trail-cam pics

2012 trail-cam pic

I'd say ur decision to let him walk another year paid off! Congrats on a sweet looking buck.

HG

Comment

Congrats hoss very nice!

Comment

very nice buck, congrats!!!!

Comment

Congrats on a super nice buck and for having the commitment to let him go another year.:thumbup:

Comment

That's a hoss. Good looking deer. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on your patience & the trophy

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats on the full package deal,awesome stuff!

Comment

Congrats on a great looking buck.

Comment

Heck of a bruiser, Congratulations brother... You are consistant at putting big deer on the ground every year

Comment

Great buck! Congrats

Comment

Wow, nice buck. Congrats

Comment

Heck of a buck!

Can't wait to see the pic of him on your wall.....

Comment

Working...
                              X