Blood On The Tailgate Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood On The Tailgate Morning

Wasn't sure I was gonna have sausage makings this season--been few and far between on sightings at my spot near Seguin. So, went to Wimberley for a hunt. Actually got busted before I even took my bow out of the truck. Was sitting on the tailgate tying my boots and a deer started blowing in the cedars about 20 yds away. Finished getting ready and walked to the stand. Hunting a flat spot on top of a ridge near Skyline Drive--lots of deer.

In the stand at 6:20, feeder spun at 6:40, and I sat and sat, and sat. Finally, about 30 minutes later, I hear an animal approaching from 2 o'clock-upwind. See a buck out about 50 yds and he walks right in to the feeder and begins to vacuum corn. 20 minutes later still hadn't given me a good shot angle, but finally turned and I started my draw--and he looked right at me. I thought "I'm screwed now" but then a deer blew off to my left in the direction he was facing, and he immediately focused on that. I came to full draw, anchored and aimed, and let it fly. He ran off with the shaft hanging out of the off-side, and I had a good line on his departure for about 30 yards. He went out of sight and over the edge of the ridge which is about 50 yds away.

I settled back in the seat, nocked another arrow just in case, and relaxed. After about 20 minutes I got down and walked back to the truck, got some clothing off, had a short cup of coffee, and then walked back to the stand. Put on my blaze orange tracking vest (don't know who/when/where there might be gun hunters in the area). No blood at the shot spot, and began following the tracks in the leaf litter. After 30 yds of no blood and no arrow I was ready to question the shot--but everything looked and felt good. I went ahead 10 yds to the limestone ledge at the edge of the ridge, and found blood. From then on it was an easy trail/recovery. Typical Hill Country buck--not old, but high mortality rate in this area and they don't live long enough to get really big.

Discovered something--I need a young hunting buddy--dragging the buck back to the ridgetop where I could get the truck to him whooped my tail! But, he's boned and in the 'fridge, and after final processing tomorrow/Friday, he's Granzin's bound for new season sausage!

Last edited by dustoffer; 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM.

Good looking 8 point. Congrats.

Comment

Nice deer I enjoyed the recap...

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

nice shot

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats...nice buck!

Comment

congrats man...nice buck!

Comment

pa-pow-ya nice buck down.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Nice buck, congrats.

Comment

awesome buck, congrats!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Hill Kuntry buck down!

Comment

Glad you got some sauage makings! Congratulations!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X