Back from Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from Illinois

Just got back. Still not happening, big buck sightings are few and far between. We were there for 7 days and saw 2 good bucks the rest were small young ones and they were harassing does. 3 of us each killed a doe. weather was perfect 30s low to 40s high, windy, clear. Talked to some hunters hunting a little ways away and they said the same thing about buck sightings. Awesome trip.

I've been working in IL. since Jan. I was here about 6 years ago and the amount of deer I saw just driving around was unreal, they were in every other field early morning and evening, now I don't see 1/4 of what I saw back then. Locals tell me EDH has taken it's toll and the huge buck syndrome has attracted lots of NR hunters and they are mostly nocturnal now. Same with turkeys, use to see huge flocks in fields and I've only seen a few small flocks this year. But this is all just driving around not wearing out any shoe leather.

Comment

That's one of my bucket list hunting locations. What county were you in? You go often? Hopefully you can smoke a monster and put up some pics next time.

Comment

We were in Schyuler cty. Usually hunt in Pope cty.

Comment

I hunted 6 days from daylight till dark a few weeks ago in Hancock IL and seen less than 20 deer TOTAL. There were 10 hunters in our lodge that week and nobody took a shot. Only 3 shooter bucks were even seen. This was my first time to ever hunt IL and I think my expectations were waaaay too high. I enjoyed the hunt though

Comment

Lots of deer dead this year from blue tounge. Saw 1 shooter in 10 days ! Know of about 50 dead found within a few miles of where we hunt. Will take a while for it to come back in our area.

Comment

Working...
            X