Broke his heart!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke his heart!!!

After hunting for the buck we called "Beams" for 7 days total this season, I finally got the shot I was looking for last Saturday. He was a buck that I had a history with for the last 3 years. Beams really blossomed in 2010. He was one of those bucks that made you take a second look everytime he walked out until you recognized which one it was. Here he is in 2010.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4.5 10pt(1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	24929767
    I had planned on hunting him in 2011 but with drought we decided we weren't going to shoot any of the good bucks. I sure was glad in early November he showed up with his left side broke off, made the decision of not hunting him alot easier for me. (The picture is from Feb. 2012 before he shed but it was all I could find on this computer)

Name:	beams 2011A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	24929768
    Fast forward to this season. I had hunted for him 6 days earlier in the season but not one sighting. I went to the ranch on Friday and that evening he came out late late late. I probably could have taken a shot but I really don't like having to track at nightime so I sat and watched him for the last few minutes before he wandered off. Saturday morning was a different story. I got into my ground blind extra early. The usual little bucks and does came in at first light. I sat there watching them eat away. It was getting a little passed 8am and I was begginning to wonder if this hunt was going to be like the others. All at once, all the deer looked to right, staring into the brush. Sure enough, he was coming in. I waited for him to give me a good quartering away shot and sent an arrow on its way. The shot looked good as blood was pumping out as he wheeled to run. I sat there and listened as he ran off but didn't hear him crash. I got out of my blind and went back to camp to get my Dad and cousin to help in the track job. We got on the trail and went about 100 yards and there he lay. After getting him back to camp and cleaning him up, I found the rest of my arrow that had broken off inside him with shaft right through the heart.

Name:	heart shot 2012.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	24929771
    Anyway, thanks for reading my story and here are some pix of him. His beams were a little over 26" long and ended up scoring ~164". With not sticking a buck last year, this buck sure made the wait worth while for me.

Name:	jg 2012b.jpg
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	24929769

Name:	jg 2012a.jpg
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	24929770

Congrats! Great Deer!

Comment

Awesome buck! and great shot

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice buck, good lesson on patience

Comment

Another nice one!!

Comment

Absolutely awesome buck.. way to get it done on a known brute!

Comment

awesome buck man

Comment

great trophy!! congrats!

Comment

Great buck, Great story!

Comment

that is a stud! congrats!!

Comment

Great buck!

Comment

Beautiful Buck! Congrats!

Comment

Wow great write up and better buck!!

Comment

Awesome buck. Love that country down there.

Comment

Working...
                              X