Boar vs Grim Reaper (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boar vs Grim Reaper (long read)

So last friday I go to try to put some pork in the freezer but miss piggy didn't want to show up for our date. I'm setting in my stand waiting and hoping but here comes a boar. I looked him over and he wasn't what I was looking for. He really didn't look that big and didn't have very good cutters. I started to draw back but stopped and thought I should wait to see if the sows would come in. Then I thought well if I don't get rid of him he will just eat all the corn and I've been wanting to try out my new grim reapers. So I wait until he is not looking directly at me and I draw. I lower the pin on my spot and let the arrow fly. I'm still new to hunting much less bow hunting so when I saw blood flying out his side every time his hooves hit the ground it was crazy. I mean he really painted the ground with blood. I've seen the commercials saying "watch them drop" but I thought BS but he didn't make it 40 yards. He busted into some thick brush, crashed around for a little bit and then made it back out of the brush onto a trail and nosedived into the ground. I didn’t get complete pass through but I cut him open and found that the reaper passed through both sides of the ribcage. I have pics of the rib pass through but didn’t know if they would be to graphic. The arrow was broke but the reaper was just fine with no bent blades but I will replace them anyway and shoot it at something else. I have the arrow caked in blood just as I found it (the boar was able to hang it on something and pull it out) but no pics of it but I can get them later on. I just hope the wife doesn’t find out it’s in the house with hog blood all over it. lol

I decided to hang out and see if anything else would come in so I nock up another grim reaper, I was still hoping for miss piggy. Well no luck so back to the video games I go. I look up and through some tall grass I see a big ole grey hump. So I take the grim off and put on an old fixed blade I keep just for raccoons (I'm not wasting a good reaper on a raccoon). He comes in and starts eating but stays facing me. I wait until he finally turns and that was all she wrote. He make a bunch of growling noise but didn't make it 10 feet.

Well with all that noise I decided to call it a night since I still had to get the hog. I walked up to the hog and I grossly under estimated his size. I couldn’t drag the hog myself so I tied him to my 4 wheeler to drag him out to where I could get my trailer to him. When I was dragging him the 4 wheeler started to pop wheelies but I didn’t have a scale so I don’t know how much he weighted. I would guess somewhere around 180 and around 5 feet long (my trailer is 8 feet long). It almost killed me trying to get him onto the trailer.

I didn’t keep his head because the pictures are a little deceiving. His cutters were only an inch or so long. I would have thought they would have been bigger do to his size but I guess they are like bucks, it’s all in their genes.

I wanted to share my experience with the grim reaper and I also wanted to say thanks to a couple of good guys. I wanted to thank Blue tick for recommending Rednek Booda and telling me to stop shooting at dots. I have been practicing on the deer target and I really think it has helped as I really don’t have to over think about where to aim now. I also wanted to thank Jerry at Rednek Booda for getting me set up. I have been to more than a few bow shops to work on my bow and Jerry was the first to take time to really work on my bow and me. My confidence in my bow and myself have been restored and boosted since I went to Jerry’s. I have thrown 3 arrows since being there and I have 3 kills one is in my avatar and the other 2 are in the pics below. I even took my wife and her bow there because she couldn’t hit the side of the barn but before we left she was stacking arrows. She hasn’t had a chance to put anything down yet but she now knows she can if she does her part. I will say if you ever go there to get your bow right or a new bow you had better eat your Wheaties and get a goodnights sleep because you are going shoot your bow (a LOT!) not him (well that’s my experience).

Some of the pics were taken that night and some were taken the next morning.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TexShadow74; 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM.

Nice Bro! Congrats!!

Comment

That is a good one right there !!! congrats.

Comment

Watch em Drop!

Comment

Congrats ... Sounds like a fun evening

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Thanks guys. I shot the boar in my avatar with a fixed blade and you can tell from the bubbles I hit him good but I never saw the blood spray like I did this time.

It was alot of fun until it was time to drag that big joker around. lol

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Hmmmm?? I'm trying to decide if that is a little-bitty bow or a great big hog in that first pic--no matter. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    Hmmmm?? I'm trying to decide if that is a little-bitty bow or a great big hog in that first pic--no matter. Good job!
                    Thanks. It's a 2007 Bowtech allegiance so it has a 33.25 ata. Not little and not the biggest but it gets the job done. Lol

Comment

Great story and pics thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go out and get some grim reapers

Comment

Good read and nice hog! Congrats!

Comment

Love it! That's why I only shoot the Reapers!

Great job!

Comment

Congrats....

Comment

Reapers are the only mechnical I will shoot. And you can't go wrong dealing with Jerry at RBO. He is my go-to guy. Nice Piggy

Comment

Working...
                              X