Hogboy's Good Friday Boar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogboy's Good Friday Boar

I've been on a little dry spell sticking pigs, so it was nice to get on board again Friday night. I walked into my stand, set the feeder for an extra throw at 8:00 PM, and climbed up about 6:30. I had a big boar come in 3 weeks ago at dark, so I planned on sitting until 9:00 or so.

7:00 dinner bell, nothing. 8:00 snack bell, and still nothing and the light is fading fast. It was a full moon, but the canopy of trees I'm in doesn't let much light through. Around 8:30 I see a nice size black pig coming into the feeder. He was alone, so I figured it was a boar. With very little light left, I didn't want to wait to long, so as soon as he turned, I got drawn.

I didn't turn on my pin light and I can't see crap through my peep, but this pig is right under me at about 15 yards so after a quick peek, I put the top pin low on the form and let it rip. He takes off, but no lighted nock in the pig or on the ground? Did I miss or did the cheap Laser nock from Academy fail me? I saw the pig, run back across the clearing about 50 yards away and thought I heard him crashing through the brush, so got down to check for blood. No blood under the feeder, but no arrow either, so I figurd at least I hit him. I looked where he ran across and still no blood, so headed to the house to get Syl and Daisie's help.

We looked around for about 10 minutes and couldn't even find a drop of blood, so I knew there wasn't any exit wound. Then I found big blood on some tall grass leading into the thick. He only made it 10 yards farther.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Good Friday boar 125 tbh.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	24895168

The autoposy showed I hit him where it hurts. The 100g Muzzy went through about 3/4 inch of shield, just nicked the back of his shoulder blade, and buried low between 2 ribs, and into his lungs. He ran 100 yards before ever blowing a bunch of blood out the entrance hole. It wasn't the big boy, but a nice 126 lb. boar to break the drought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	125 boar autopsy tbh.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	24895169

Sweet! Wish I could have been there to see/hear it!

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Way to go buddy!!! Getting back on the board in style.

Hoping to do the same this weekend.

Comment

congrats I have been on a dry spell with pigs myself

Comment

Nice. Congratulations. KAP!!!

Comment

Congrats! Glad ur dry spell is over! Good job on the placement with very little light.

Comment

Way to go Gary!!

DJ

Comment

Very Nice,My Friend. Lookin forward to getting back down there.\\

Congratulations.

Comment

ATA Boy Gary. Great looling pig and yours has some nice chompers.

Comment

Good eater right there

Comment

Congrats thats a good one.

Comment

Very nice Gary. You got anymore?

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

sweet

Comment

Working...