March 31 thru April 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March 31 thru April 4

Well, my brother has been trekking from New Jersey to hunt turkey and this is his third year to hunt with me. This year his buddy, Scott came with him, and I'm doing a hunt swap with him, Rios for a Florida gator hunt in September.

We got to the lease late yesterday and the two of them went out to put up blinds while I unloaded trucks and got camp ready. I also checked my feeders only to find that the big one had almost 500 pounds of corn and was not running. The other two were good and I pulled cameras to check cards. Back in camp, I found all three feeders were visited often by tons of pigs, a couple of deer and jakes and hens.

This morning, 4/1/12, the two of them headed out to hunt at 5:30 and I was still in bed. I finally for up, ate breakfast and decided I was going to bowhunt pigs this morn. I got to my stand around 6:30 am, got settled in and closed my eyes to listen. Before long I could here turkey gobbling along the creek and some turkey flying down from roost.

At 6:59 am, I heard a noise to my right, looked over and 10 pigs were coming to the feeder. It went off at 7, they scattered but shortly made their way back. One particular boar was dark as coal, big chested and I guessed him close to 150 pounds. This boar did not go to the feeder but instead chose to chew on a rotten limb where I had poured buck juice a week or so ago. He was five yards from my ladder stand and I drew on him, waiting on broadside shot.

Alas, he never turned and I decided to try and spine him. I released the arrow and it him him just to the right. He took off, of course taking Magnus tipped CE Aramid with him. I sat in the stand until about 8:00 am listening to the turkey yelps and gobbles, and decided to go look for the pig. I followed a sparse blood trail for about 50 yards, and then a better trail with spray for about 100 yards before the brute crossed the property line and went into some thick stuff on the next ranch.

Larry (brother) and Scott have heard a few turkey this morning but nothing has happened as of yet.

More to come as the week progresses.

Im going out midweek. Good luck

Comment

good luck

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Well those two like to get up real early. Me, rolled out at 7:15 a.m. and took off walking with my shotgun. Talked back and forth with a hen for about 30-minutes while walking down the road.

Finally sat down beside dirt road and started calling. About 15-minutes caught movement to my left and this coyote thought it was Thanksgiving. At just shy of 20-yards it saw me raising gun, turned to run but just turned to look at me. I let him have it with a load of number 5's and went down yipping and spinning. I stood and he took off and I gave him another which rolled him. He got back up and ran out of sight.

I followed where he ran but never found him. I sat back down, gave it 20-minutes and started with some more hen yelps. A few minutes later, again to my left, another coyote came looking for a meal. At 12-yards I left her have it. She went down and got back up. Another load and she's down for the count.

Larry and Scott have been chasing gobbles all morning and are still out. Me, headed back to ranch after Walmart run for more shells.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333386077.732839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	24063329

Comment

What call are you using? The yotes are saying your doing a good job, at least until you shoot em. keep at it.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Working...
              X