Gobbler Down!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gobbler Down!!

This past Sunday I went hunting with my buddy Ruben at his ranch near Devine, we got there around 7 in the morning and waited till it was barely getting daylight to set up the pop up and put out the decoys. We were calling for a what seemed like forever with no calls back at all, I'm not gonna lie, I didnt think we were gonna see anything because the year before turkeys started gobbling right at day break. Around 8:15 the first gobbler gobbled back and I got pumped! We kept calling and it was quite again. All of a sudden, we saw a head pop up about 80 yards down the road and the turkey slowly began making its way towards us. When he was about 30 yards away from us he crossed paths with another tom and a jake, all 3 of them had a race to the decoys we had set out. Our calling had them going! So when they were at the decoys 15 yards in front of us, I drew back to take a shot at a tom that was all strutted up. When I touched my released I saw the green nockturnal fly and SWHACK!! I saw him fly up and flap for a while and then stop. I had my first turkey!! Such an awesome feeling! The other two turkeys ran away but they were still in sight 40 yards away, the only problem was that they had crossed the fence. They were still interested in the calls but I could tell they were kind of jumpy and clueless, at one point the both looked up at us at the same time and I thought they somehow had us pinned. But it wasnt us though, a few seconds later a big bobcat ran between both of us and scared the turkeys even more! Well needless to say they were now a little too scared to come back (atleast this hunt) and my buddy wasnt able to take his because the other long beard would just stay and walk up and down the fenceline. Our hunt was not over! We went and tried the to pull the turkey out of bush it tried to go under but it was pretty stuck so we had to move some of the branches. As I held some branches back so Ruben could pull out the turkey, he jumped back and yelled "theres a rattlesnake!" We got lucky it didnt bite one of us because it was only 2 feet on the side of a turkey that was just flapping away! Luckily it was asleep. I ended up stabbing the snake it the head with the arrow and Ruben cut its head off. The rattlesnake wasnt too big, just under 4 ft, but it was deadly nonetheless. As for my gobbler, he had about a 9 inch beard, 1 inch spurs, and a pretty fan. I had an awesome hunt with an awesome friend. Sorry for the long read, but good luck to all this season!!
    Attached Files

Congrats on your tom! Spring birds are too much fun!

Comment

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats! Nice bird!

Comment

Awesome first Turkey! Awesome Turkey period! Congratulations and thanks for sharing

Comment

Right on congrats

Comment

First Tom

Congrats on a GREAT looking Tom, I was at Buffalo lake east of Lubbock this weekend and saw around 75 turkeys in one field and all of the toms and jakes were strutting but I wasn"t hunting

Comment

nice!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Sweet! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

saaaawwweeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!!!