Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Spring Turkey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Turkey!

My brother, his buddy and my self arrived at Brushy Hill yesterday in time to settle up with Pete and get in an evening hog hunt. We were of course hoping to put a few toms to bed so we would have a strategy for this morning. My brother was the only one to see any turkeys, a tom, a jake and a couple of hens. At about 7:30 he texted me that he had two boars come in and then book. He figure he got winded. As I typed some smart mouthed response to his misfortune he sent me another text. "muzzy in a big boar". ( I deleted the smart *** response) When it got dark we tracked his boar for about two hundred yards before we found it. He made a perfect shot but had poor penetration. Never the less he had a boar down and had seen a few turkeys. I had seen zip!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332030812.280004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	24892470
    We forgot the obligatory LDP so this will have to do. Good pig Chief!

This morning was a bust and we figured it must be too early for the gobblers to respond. I did have a big boar at a feeder that i could see from my tent. I could see cutters from a good 75 yrds so i decided to put the stalk on him. I was able to close the gap to about 40 with the wind in my face but then he bolted. Game over.
    We had breakfast at camp, took a nap shot the bows, and enjoyed the camp until about 4:00.
    This evening the woods came alive. I figured the turkey weren't ready yet so I was expecting only pigs. I'm still in my tent writing this at 7:42 and still no pigs. But wait, this is where it gets fun. About 5:00 I heard a distant gobble so I responded with a few clucks and soft purrs. A couple of minutes later I see two nice toms headed towards my setup at a dead run. They would stop, I would purr then they would run. They closed 3-400 yards with haste gobbling every time they stopped. When they got to my deaks they became very squirrelly and started to circle. I was afraid they were going to bolt so I slipped a Muzzy through the brush and connected. The wounded bird made it about 15 yards back to the clearing and collapsed. His buddy proceeded to jump on and started pounding away at the dead bird. I knocked a second arrow and missed, third arrow, missed, the forth arrow took a few feathers off so he decided he should go. I later had three more toms come through and a few hens. Lots of gobbling going on as well. I guess the spring activities have begun.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332032020.533619.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	24892473
    We have one more hunt in the morning and then back to reality. The other two guys have had no luck this afternoon and the birds have roosted so I'm thinking about a cold one and some wild turkey tenders. Special thanks to Pete and his lovely wife. We have had a great trip so far at Brushy Hill.
    Here's one more pic I took of my limb hanger.

Nunley Ln, Sabinal, TX 78881, USA
    Attached Files

Congrats to both of you!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Very nice! Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats on a heck of a bird. What Pasture Yall huntting?

Comment

Thanks guys!

We're in Craiger

Comment

Lots of birds this morning and lots of gobbles but each one seems a little further away.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a good one! A buddy of mine will be out there to Brushy Hill on Wednesday for a hunt.

Comment

Thanks again for the kind words guys. Pete seems to have some nice birds this year and everything is very green. I hadn't hunted Brushy Hill sence we lost ole Rusty but it was good to be back.

Comment

Congrats on the kills. I was there Friday evening thru Sunday noon and had a great time. It was my first experience calling Turkeys and had a blast. I also had my butt handed to me by the birds but that's part of the learning trend.

Pete and Nick are great people and went out of there way to help me out.

I saw some hogs Saturday evening but they came in down wind and hung back in the brush until I left the blind. I did get this critter with a head shot from about 10 feet...5'2". He was watering in that hog wallow.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That looks like the best kill of the day! Glad you took him out of the jean pool. I probably missed a lot of good sign watching out more for those guys all weekend.

Comment

Congrats, nice story behind it too!

Comment

Congrats! I'm starting to put some money away to maybe take a trip down there later this season.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X