Great hunt at Big Oak Bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great hunt at Big Oak Bowhunting

Sorry for the long read just didnt want to miss anything.

My buddy Jw and I spent the weekend out at Big Oak Bowhunting and had an amazing time. I have nothing but great things to say about the ranch and Marty himself. He really busted his but to make sure we had a good time and were comfortable. The bunkhouse is very nice with 4 comfortable beds and full bathroom. I ment to get pics of the place but forgot.
    We showed up to the ranch Friday night kind of late and got everything settled in and got ready for the next morning. It had been awhile since me and Jw had hunted together so there were plenty of things to talk about. Before I knew it it was midnight and decided I should get to bed. It didnt do much good because as the night went on I couldnt sleep with thoughts of the next day running in my head. My goal was to put a big red deer doe on the ground. While talking to Marty and Mark I was pumped as they both said that the stand we were heading to was a major stomping ground for the huge deer.
    Finally the alarm clock went off and I jumped out of bed. It probably wasnt 10 minutes later and I was ready to go. We got everyone loaded in the ranger and started heading to the stands. We were hunting out of an elevated box blind. It was a little tight for 2 big ole boys with a camera and tripod in there but we made it work. There was water on our left with the feeder in front of us and a protein feeder to the right. We got everything set up just as it started getting light enough to barely see. And about the time we heard something heading in our direction. A little while later we had the heard of Addax come in to the protein feed. These are some beautiful animals and seeing them in person really made me want one. As they hung out and mowed down some feed we also had a nice group of whitetail head in to check out the feeder. Within 20 minutes of being in the stand we had animals on all sides of us. The addax are some mean buggers and kept pushing the whitetails off the feed. We had a small fallow buck come in to the setup but he too kept getting pushed around.
    About 8 we still had animals hanging around us and a heard of axis was working their way in. They popped out of the woods at about 40 yards down the trail from us and looked like they would feed in but never made it. Around 30 yards out they turned and headed back in the woods. After that things slowed down with the addax slowly feeding in and out. We ended up seeing everything on the ranch but the red deer during to morning hunt. We had a nice young stag feed in as well as 2 really nice sika bucks and a good fallow buck. When Marty picked us up he told us he had passed some really nice red deer on his way to us. We did a little looking and sure enough they were still there. Well we tried setting up on them but they fooled us once again and slipped by without even getting to draw back.
    We made our way back to camp were I took a nap while mark and jw did some target practice on the 3ds behind one of the cabins. After the nap we just hung out talking hunting and watching football. We also went to help load some feeder pen panels on a trailer and thats where I saw the great huge rams he has on the place. He has the best rams I have seen at any ranch and for great prices. When the work was done and we were all rested up we got ready for the afternoon hunt. We would once again be in the red deers home turf and I was ready.
    We got in the stand about 4:30 and got settled in. It was really hot in the black plastic blind but at least with the windows open we had an occasional breeze. Once again we had the addax and the whitetail at our feeder pretty early. Luckily this time they both got their fill and fed off to nap in the woods in front of the stand. As soon as they layed down we had all kinds of animals come in. We had a fallow, sika and axis bucks all hanging around us. shortly after the feeder went off a group of 3 young fallow does came in for a drink. With it being so hot and getting late I started thinking about trying to get a shot but they made it back in the woods before I could make up my mind. While sitting there thinking about whether I should of shot one or not Jw sayed "THere she is". As soon as he said it everything went on high alert. Sure enough a big beautful red deer cow made her way to the protein about 20 yards away. She started eating and was well in my shooting window and on camera but I just wanted to make sure there wasnt anymore coming in. And not to long after her a nice stag followed her in. Thats all I could take. I raised up to take aim and BANG ran my arm into the side of the blind. She jumped and turned in towards us so now I had no shot. She turned to head out and when she did I took aim a let it fly. The arrow smacked into her kinda far back but within 10 yards she started swaying. She slowly swayed towards a little hill but she couldnt make it over a fallen down tree and just stood there. We waited for a while for her to lay down but decided to go ahead to put a finishing arrow in her. So with 2 shots I finally had my red deer down. I was pumped. We got down and walked over to her where there was no ground shrinkage, she was huge. We got pictures and video and once Marty got there we loaded her up which was no easy task and turned for camp.
    We hadnt made it far down the road when we met up with 2 good looking fallow does. I mentioned that I would like to try to take one. With that we set up a plan. I set up in a small group of trees and Marty corned in front of me and drove up the road a little bit. We gave it awhile but the does werent having anything to do with that so they came and picked me up. Once back in the ranger he told us that he had a blind that he was pretty sure they would hit if we still wanted to give it a shot. Well a few minutes later we were in another stand waiting to see what would show up. We had a great ram and whitetail doe feed in from behind. While messing around trying to get a look at them we heard something else come in from the other side. And there they were. Two beautiful fallow does working their way in. At about 30 yards out I decided that I wanted to try for the spotted one. She was on a great path but was straight on to me and not in the camera. Luckily at about 10 yards she turned and gave me a great shot but still no video. And then we got her in the camera but I couldnt see her. We finally got her were we wanted her but something spooked her when I drew back. I took aim quickly and shot but she dropped down and caught the arrow right in the spine. As fast as I could got out another arrow and finished the job. Within an hour I had taken two firsts. We called Marty and he came and picked us up to take her back and get cleaned. When we got to camp Marty had taken the time to gut my red deer doe for me so I could keep hunting. He really does everything he can to make sure you have a great time.
    All in all it was an amazing weekend and we are already getting friends to go back. If you are looking for a cheap hunt that is as accomadating as an expensive one with some really good folks you need to give Marty call. Marty and Mark are both some great guys and I cant wait to hunt with them again. There is no shortage of animals to choose from. As soon as I get it edited I will post the video and pictures of the doe are in the rate the day lease section. I will put them over here in the morning.
    Last edited by Rabidbowhunter; 09-28-2011, 10:59 PM.

Thanks for the great write up. See you soon

Comment

I have my eye on one of those Addax! Gonna have to make it happen in the next couple of years

Comment

Congratulations on your animals.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Glad y'all had a good time. Your welcome back any time

Comment

[ATTACH]273430[/ATTACH]