First Longbow Kills (Long read sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Longbow Kills (Long read sorry)

As most of you know I traditionally am known as a recurve lover. But I had a Horne Longbow built for me earlier this year for the Texas Longbow Shoot. I really enjoy shooting it but I have never taken an animal with a Longbow. I set out this weekend to get blood on my Longbow. I was very optimistic with the weather getting down into the 20’s for lows but I didn’t realize the wind was going to blow Mach 3.
    I got to one of my favorite blinds Saturday morning around 5:45am and got tied down as the wind was already howling. I sat till almost 12 pm and didn’t see anything not even a corn stealing crow. I got out of the stand and went to the truck to refuel on water and some cheese and crackers. After resting for an hour and a half I decided to hunt another stand I have next to a old barn that has been on our place since my great great grandparents live on their in the late 1800s. I got in the double bull around 2pm and kicked back relaxing just trying to rest up from lack of sleep over the last couple of days. I was sitting their almost asleep when I heard the crunching of some hand thrown corn. I sat up and saw a little button buck and a doe fawn hard at work on the corn. The little button buck kept trying his best to keep her and the dove off the corn. As I was watching them a doe and a little 6 point buck came in and joined in the feast. Then after 30 minutes of them eating corn they all looked up and the 6 point bristled up until the bigger 8 point got nose to nose with him. It didn’t take long for the six to give ground.
    By this time I had 2 does, 6 fawns, 6pt, and the 8pt all within 15 yards of me but I had already decided I wasn’t going to shoot anything but a good buck, cull buck or a hog with my longbow. Well as I was watching the deer when all of the sudden a doe came running in like she was on fire and all the other deer spooked a little. She stopped at 18 yards and squatted, that’s when I saw HIM walk into view. (I have game camera picks of this buck for the past two years and each year he has only produced a fork on his left side. He was one of the cull bucks I wanted.) The 4 x 2 walked up towards the doe, peeing all over himself and slightly quartered away from me. I came to full draw with the Longbow and picked a spot back on his ribs angling towards his off side shoulder and released the arrow. It was perfect! He immediately high kicked and started the death run with my arrow buried up the feathers. I heard him crash within seconds; I got out of the blind shaking to death and followed a blood trail that even I could stay on. I found the arrow about 10 yards from where I shot him and he was laying about 40 yards up the trail. He’s by far not the best buck or even a trophy to most but being my first kill with a Longbow I couldn’t be happier.
    Now with blood on my Longbow I went back to my favorite blind where I had sat the morning before and saw nothing. But I know hogs usually will hit this area in the morning. I got in the blind around 6 am with the wind STILL blowing hard and the temps hit the teens. As the sun began to break I had two does and two fawns crunching on corn and acting very nervous. They stayed for about 45 minutes then they left, I decided to set up my video camera in case I got a shot at something. I am a novice when it comes to videoing anything, much less trying to work the camera and hunt. I always forget to turn it on, zoom, hit record, etc etc etc. I sat back and stretched out to rest when I thought to myself look out one more time before you get settled. I looked out the window and there he was coming. I thought wow that hog is pretty big. It wasn’t until he got to the corn that I realized how big he was. I quickly turned the camera on, got my bow up and ready then the shakes began. I steadied my bow and came to full draw with the boar at 12 yards; I picked a spot right behind the shoulder and released the arrow. It hit where I was looking and buried in half way up the shaft. The boar grunted loud and crow hopped a little, then he ran about 5 yards and fell, got back up and stumbled, fell again and let out a big death grunt about 10 yards from where I had shot him. I got it all on video! I was thrilled with my second Longbow kill. This is one of the biggest boars I’ve ever killed.
    Last edited by meangene1969; 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM.

Congrats, can't wait to see the video of the dead pig.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Cool deal...Congrats.

Comment

Sweet Congrats

Comment

Congrats Grizzly!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice critters, congrats

Comment

I like the hat Gene!!!

Comment

Awesome kills! Nice write up. I have the same longbow from Horne. The best trad bow out there imo.

Comment

Great job! I'd love to see the video too!

Comment

Awesome stuff. Congrats.

Comment

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That is a beast of a hog !!! I'd hate to meet that thing in the dark..

Comment

AWESOME!!!
                              Sounds like you might be a long bow lover now.
                              Great hunts great story great animals

Comment

Working...
                              X