1st "Legit" Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st "Legit" Kill

The evening hunt started off with no activity around the feeder. After about an hour after dark/time from when the feeder went off I radioed over to our guide Enrique Aragon to check in with him, and inform him that nothing was going on at our end.

He replied back that he has been covered in what "sounded like hogs" all around him, but it was to dark to tell. (See Map Below) I was sitting in the blind "B" located on the left part of the map, Enrique was just below the Feeder "X" on the right part of the map. I decided to get out of my stand and begin to stalk up the road and over to the road he was on in case he pushed the hogs further up the road.

I was walking across the road heading West to East when about 40yds before I got to the intersection labeled with the blind "B" on the right part of the map and I heard "corn crackling". (As you look at the map you will see little light blue dots scattered around. That is how corn was scattered earlier in the day) I knew as soon as I approached that intersection and heard the corn crackling off to my left, exactly where the hogs were.

I slowly came around the corner and seen what looked to be small silhouettes in the middle of the road feeding. I was happy to see we were going to have a perfect sized bbq pig for the grill. I waited for the clouds to cover the moonlight and began to move slowly down the road in the soft dirt. The light begin to brighten a little as the clouds were moving out so I decided to stop and be still hoping not to be detected with the bright moonlight shining on the entire road and acting as a huge spotlight. The group moved further up the road away from me. The moonlight was covered once again by clouds giving me the opportunity to move down the road once again. I got to what I thought was definitely a kill shot range for me, and reached for my Nikon Laser 600 to find out exactly. I was at 21yds to the first black silhouette. I reached down and turned on the Tru-Glo lite to illuminate my pins. It was still dark and all I could see was what looked like small sized hog that was feeding directly pointed at me. I got ready to draw when all of a sudden the light started to peak through the clouds once again. I knew I was about to loose cloud cover, so I came to full draw and was ready to take any of the 6 hogs that I counted in that 21yd -25yd range. I had my eye on the closest hog since he was the best one I could see, but was going to take whichever one gave me the best shot opportunity. The clouds passed on, and the moon was now illuminating all of us once again. The black silhouette that was now in front of me turned broadside and I couldn't help myself. It was if instinct took over and I put the pins right on what I thought the shoulder was and released.

Next thing you hear is "squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllll lllllll" and then I seen the black silhouette hit the ground. It squealed a few more times, then began the infamous death gurgle. The other 5 hogs ran off the road to the left in the cover. I knew the hog was going anywhere after I heard that death gurgle so I walked up to it to pull my arrow out. As I walked up on it, I felt let down as I seen it was a Javelina. Now granted it was a very large Javelina but I had my mind set that we were going to have a good feast that evening with Enrique and his family. Once I seen it was a Javelina, I radioed that I had a "Javi down, dead in its tracks" and I was heading back to get the video camera to get proper LDP's and a do a post video before the stink became worse from the Javelina.

The evening continued with my daughter missing a monster Raccoon at 13yds, but Enrique had the backup shot and let the air out.
    Last edited by Videographer; 11-07-2006, 02:48 PM.

Great story, but correct me if I am wrong, I don't think you are supposed to shoot Javis at night time.

Comment

Well done, Coach. Congratulations on your first.
      Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Way to go coach! ?That was in Mexico? I'm still waiting on the other story you were going to call me about.

Comment

Congrats on the javi!

Comment

Congrats Coach.

Trailboss

Comment

Nice javi, Coach!

Comment

Congrats on the stink pig!

Comment

Congrats on the stinkelina

Comment

Congrats on the javi,nice shot

Comment

Nice javi, nice cutters, should make a nice mount.

That coon is huge!

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats coach !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

congrats coach

Comment

Working...