Black Friday redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Friday redemption

While others were out hunting a bargain this morning I decided to go jump in the deer stand
    I had shot 2 pigs earlier in the season and both ran off with nice blood trails but never saw them again
    This morning I redeeemed myself and restored my confidence.

Got in the stand a few minutes before 0600 and got all settled. It was overcast but I could still see very well with what little moonlight was making it through the clouds. On mornings like that it seems like it is never going to get light. The feeder went off about 0635 but it was still too dark to really shoot.
    The wind picked up a little bit and I pulled my hood up over my head. I had not seen anything and had just sat down a little before 0800. I guess the combination of damp leaves, wind and the mp3 player(only one earphone in and turned down real low) masked the sound of the approaching pig. I looked up and he was coming under the fence by the feeder. I slowly reached for my bow and stood at the same time. The N wind was blowing across so I sure he was not going to smell me. He started crunching on the corn and I drew back, found my anchor and the hood on the jacket was blocking my view. Let down and removed the hood but in the meantime the pig turned his butt to me and stayed that way for what seemed like 20 min but was more like 3 or 4. He turned quartering away and I drew again. He was gold with black spots and he had the perfect target behind his left leg. I centered the pin on the black spot and squeeeeeezzzed the release which turned the meatseeker tipped beman loose. I never saw the arrow hit but he bolted forward and stopped about 25-30yds from the feeder. I could see the arrow sticking out alot more than what i would like but I could also see the blood starting to pour. He ran about 15yds into the woods and started to stagger. I watched him fall over within about 45yds of my stand.
    I was going to sit until 1000 but the buzzards started circling shortly after 0900 and not wanting them to get a free meal I bailed out and headed to the house to get the dog. He does not know what he is doing yet but I try and take him everytime I go out to track so he will get some practice. With a little help he found the pig

It feels good to finally close the deal and actually have something to show

Gonna post pics later after i get them uploaded, stay tuned

Congrats!

Bisch

Comment

Way to go!

Comment

Congrats on the pork

Comment

Congrats

Comment

KAP congrats.

Comment

Well I am having trouble with the pics, maybe tomorrow

This boar fooled me, I was thinking he was ~65-80#, was going to post some pics and see what everyone guessed but that is not working, he weighed 105# dressed on my scales ( he actually pulled the scale down to 110 but I noticed it started out about 5).

I thought he broke my arrow off on a tree he rubbed up against but that was not the case. As he was running off I noticed there was alot of arrow still sticking out of him. I gutted him with care because I thought the broadhead might still be in the chest but it was not. After skinning him I discovered the head had penetrated the off shoulder and stopped under the hide/ shield. His shield was about 3/4" thick. I had to really work to get my broadhead and about 2" of arrow out of his shoulder. If you think a meatseeker would reverse and easily come out it will not. That broadhead worked the off side shoulder over, it cut and chewed as he was running off.

This is the 3rd pig I have shot with the meatseeker, the first 2 I never found but they left good blood trails for the first couple hundred yards (still not sure how a pig can live after loosing that much blood). I think the meatseeker advertises 1 1/2" cut but the entrance hole on this one was closer to 1". It went between 2 ribs going in and between 2 ribs exiting the chest cavity and stopped at the shield on the off side shoulder

Comment

Glad to see you put pork on the ground! I gotta run to Richards this week or its gonna be a long weekend in Menard with 2 arrows!!

Comment

Good job and slaying the pork!!!

Comment

Congrats, glad you are mowin em' down!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats ol Buddy , great sausage on that size piggy for sure

Comment

Working...
                          X