Son' First & Second deer with a Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son' First & Second deer with a Bow

I took off a couple of days to take my son Bowhunting this week. He shot two javelina last year and his first hog several weeks ago with his bow. What has eluded him was a whitetail with his bow. He had several chances last season but could never connect. Translation.....he missed. Well, this would be a new year. He went from drawing 42 lbs last year to 60 lbs this year. Growing six inches and putting on 55 lbs of weight in one year has that effect. Big difference in his strength.
    We headed out Monday morning for the lease and arrived around noon. Had to make our stop at Buc-ees and Joels BBQ along I-10 of course. We knew it was going to be hot in the ground blinds so we opted for shorts and black shirts. Monday afternoon we climbed in to our Humble Sendero ground blind. Small does arrived at the hand-feed corn. The larger does would not come in closer than 25 yards. Tuesday morning we headed back to the same blind and watched seven deer feed in close. Four large doe made thier way in with one feeding on the corn we threw out. Blane waited until she was broadside and let an arrow fly. I could see it was a great hit. We slowly made our way out of the blind, finding a blood trail immediately where she had been standing. Blane tracked her and we found her about fifty yards away. This was his first deer with a bow.

In the afternoon we opted to go to a ground blind we call Six Pack. We threw some corn out and waited for the feeder to go off. The afternoon was hot and the wind stopped blowing around 4 PM. All was quiet. Too quiet. A large doe finally came in but would not get near the hand-feed corn. Fifteen minutes later we had four more deer walk in. One of the does made her way over in front of us about 15 yards. Blane drew his bow out of her line of site. She heard the arrow slide, looked at the blind and stomped her foot. He slowly moved in to the shooting window, aimed, and let the arrow fly for the second time that day. Another good hit. Blane and I tracked her about 125 yards. Being young, he spots the tiniest blood spots where I do not. Each time we lost the blood, he took a few extra minutes to follow up each trail. Next thing I know he is saying, "Here's blood". Not sure how she made it that far but she did. He shot both of his doe with the two-blade Rage broadheads, Mission UX2 (Mathews....shameless plug) set at 60 lbs. I am extremely happy with his patience and shot placement. The fact that these were his first two deer with a bow only cemented Bowhunting in his future. He just turned fourteen so I look forward to hunting with him for many years to come. We were both very excited over his accomplishment and had a great two days of hunting/spending time together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blane-2 Doe w Bow & Arrow - Nov 2010 015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	24832509

Name:	Blane-2 Doe w Bow & Arrow - Nov 2010 016.jpg
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	24832510

Name:	Blane-2 Doe w Bow & Arrow - Nov 2010 076.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	24832511

Way to go ! congrats to the both of you

Comment

Great mature does,congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

good deal congrats to him and way to stick with it

Comment

Congrats, can't wait until my kids have their first!

Comment

I know you're proud. Way to go Blane! Better stop out shooting Dad or he'll stop taking you. Lol!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats, Blane! That's awesome.

Comment

Very cool, congrats!!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Comment

Proud of you Blane(P*****Head). Hope to see you again this season. Still many hogs and javi's to shoot. How did six pack hunt. I know your Dad loves that spot. Couldn't resist. Again Congrats.
                        Danny

Comment

Awesome job. Congrats. I just showed my 4 year old and he wants to know when he can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by archvillan View Post
                            Proud of you Blane(P*****Head). Hope to see you again this season. Still many hogs and javi's to shoot. How did six pack hunt. I know your Dad loves that spot. Couldn't resist. Again Congrats.
                            Danny
                            LOL Danny, I just showed Blane your message. He had a good laugh over it. He wanted to call you so badly the other day when we weighed his doe in at 103 lbs. I told him the bet was over though. Six Pack actually hunted quite well!!!!!! Deer never knew we were there until they heard him draw.

Comment

congrats on bow kill looks like 2 good shots

Comment

Working...
                              X