Awesome Weekend! First Deer with Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome Weekend! First Deer with Bow

So the story actually starts with an invitation from a friend of mine to come and shoot a management buck at his family ranch in Freer. My wife and I set aside a few vacation days and agreed that she would be the one to shoot the buck. Needless to say, I was pumped about taking my wife on her first South Tx hunt. She has killed deer before, but as many of you know, the South Tx experience is amazing. Our first morning out we just sat and watched all the nice bucks running around in the field. One particular buck stood out from the group due to his very heavy mass. After the hunt, my wife and I decided to walk a few miles while all the fat guys took naps While on the walk, my wife suggested that I try to shoot the heavy mass buck that we saw on the morning hunt. I told her that I would rather have her shoot a buck since she's only killed one buck. That afternoon found us in a new blind where a few old eight points had been seen. Not five minutes into the hunt, a huge, old, buck ran into the field. I told Tara "there's your buck"! With a gentle squeeze of her trigger, the 7.5 year old collapsed in his tracks! After the high fives and pictures we headed back to the house to show him off. As we were all hanging out at the hanging pole, Tara suggests to my friend, John Wayne, that he let me shoot the massive 8 that we had seen that morning. John Wayne said he'd love for me to get him! Since there was no bow hunting stand set up in that area of the ranch we had to be creative on how to set up on this deer. We finally decided that we would just leave the door of the rifle blind open, scatter some corn in an area by the blind and just hope that he would come to the corn. Sunday morning we arrived early to the blind to set up for the hunt. Right away, we had deer on the scattered corn. Just before light, I could make out the massive 8 right in front of our blind. It was just too dark to shoot, so all I could do was wait. As the day started to come to life, I knew my chance was going to come. Right then, all the deer lifted their heads, raised their tails and scattered? A quick glance into the field revealed a pack of 5 coyotes jogging thru the field. Just my luck! After 15 years of on an off bow hunting I was still going to be empty handed and frustrated. Fortunately, 5 minutes later, all the deer had started to cautiously come back into the corn. As the buck came back in, my wife started rolling the camera and it was showtime. After one letdown, the buck walked back into my shooting lane and presented me with a slightly quartering away shot. I tucked the shot right behind the front shoulder and it blew thru him and out the opposite shoulder. He busted thru the brush and all was silent. I knew that I had just smoked my first deer with a bow! We picked up the huge blood trail right away and a short 35 yards later, I had my hands on my first deer with a bow. We got both my wife and my kill on film. It was so cool to have my wife with me to share in the experience. All in all, it was an incredible weekend!
    Attached Files

Very Nice... Congratulations to you both, great LDP's to boot

Comment

Nice congrats!

Comment

Congrats to both!

Comment

Awesome! Would love to see the videos!
          Congratulations to the two of you!

Comment

Congrats on great bucks!

Comment

very nice, congrats!

Comment

Very nice pics. and a good story to go with them.

Comment

Man that's awesome! Congrats to the both of you!
                  Sounds like y'all had a great weekend!

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

John Wayne Roberts by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                        John Wayne Roberts by any chance?
                        The one and only!

Comment

Nice! congrats

Comment

Congrats to you both!

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                              The one and only!
                              Thank goodness the one and ONLY! Nice deer BTW. Michael killed anything this year?

Comment

Working...
                              X