First Trophy Buck with bow. 10 pt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Trophy Buck with bow. 10 pt

Lavaca County, Hallettsville. Bucks around my lease don't stand much chance of getting too old. My place is surrounded by six propertys where all the relitives hunt. I digress.
    Last weekend of October went there with hopes of filling tags there were lots of deer on camera. Thursday afternoon 4pm heading to tree stand a little voice says "knock an arrow". I'ts 4pm, HOT, nah!
    Crossing creek to my surprise, a Unicorn spike, 20 yards broadside. By the time I fiddlefarted to get arrow in it was up in the brush. Let the arrow fly. Ping! Crack! Went the broken arrow. Clean miss.
    No deer came to corn Thrusday or Friday moring. Well, you'll just have to go find em. Hunted the bottoms Friday and Saturday and saw deer but using different trails.
    Saturday afternoon getting ready that little voice says, "take your pistol (45 1911)". This time OK. I will. No holster just put it in my belt. Hunted at stand of Oak trees in the upper field hoping the deer like Live Oak accrons. Seen deer move along the Northern edge and had hog across clearing eating accorns. Got dark and was walking back to camp. Had to pass by my feeder and too my surprise, HOGS having a feeding frenzy. Laid the bow down and went on hands and knees shiloetting myself in the black night. Had to get close because it was black on black. Something spooked the hogs and they bolted across the trail. NOthing flies nothing dies. Started firing, point and shoot style in the dark at an imaginary target. 8 rounds later ya hear the sqeelling of a hog. Got a 90 pounder in the neck. He ran into my 230 grain HP .45 projectile. Sausage
    Sunday morning hunted the bottoms again. About 9am had buck come in. He meandered back and forth. I waited behing forked tree with bow drawn. I leaned over to see where he was and got Busted!
    10:00 AM, time to go. Walking out of bottoms had to pass my feeder when that voice said, "wait here awhile". I was in the brush between two trails sitting in drainage swell. 5 minutes later I see Horns! Good horns. No time to get buck fever. Had to judge distances. Agh! He stops. Then turns to left to an opening in the yoapan trees. Just a 3 ft wide opening. Judged it at 30 yards. The buck hits it, I whistled and released. WHACK! Like the sound of a golfball hitting a tree. Double lung shot.
    10 point. My Hallettsville Trohpey.
    Attached Files

Congrats on your kills! Great looking deer.

Comment

Congrats!!! Nice buck!

Comment

Very nice,congrats.

Comment

Congrats...

Comment

Congrats on a great buck..

Comment

Sounds like an eventful time! Nice buck!

Jake

Comment

Can I borrow "that voice!?". I need all the help I can get.

Congrats on a fine looking buck!

Comment

nice buck

Comment

sounds like a fun hunt! great job

Comment

Thanks for reading instead of looking at the pictures.
                      No. you don't want to borrow that little voice. Profile pic is of my late son, Chris 9-4-10. I just wonder if he was my hunting partner that weekend? Dedicated that hunt to him.
                      I pick up the European mount this weekend.

Comment

Nice Deer. Congratulations

Comment

congrats nice buck

Comment

Nice buck, but remember..... paragraphs are your friends.

Comment

Congrats on the buck!

Comment

Working...
                              X