Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt Failure Report - What went wrong?

All,

I was hoping this weekend would end in my first ever bow kill. I was planning to hold out for a particular buck I have on my trail camera pictures but I was prepared to take a doe just to break the ice.

I am in a 15' tripod stand and my shot distance is 20 yards. I am shooting a Diamond Marquis bow at 67 lbs, shooting a slick trick tipped 405 grain arrow at 290 fps. Kinetic energy is 78 ft-lbs.

On Sunday evening, I had buck - city at my stand location. I had two young 8s come out that I had seen on game camera at first but then the 8s started staring down the trail that most deer come down. Sure enough a nice 3.5 year old 19 inch wide and fairly long-tined 8 is headed my way cautiously. I had never seen him on the game camera before but he got my heart racing. I think he is around a 120-125 inch deer. He visits a scrape on the way to the stand and I watch as he rubs his head and antlers on the tree and marks his spot. He comes slowly my way, watching cautiously and pacing around as he comes. While he is still walking toward my stand, I see the bucks at the feeder react again and stare down the trail.

I was worried that hogs were coming down the trail and would spook off my bucks. Instead, a monster 6.5 year old 10 point is staggering toward the scrape like an old man. He slowly creaks along with short stubby legs and a short nose. His neck and body are huge!! My heart is beating out of my chest in anticipation since I have never seen this buck or anything like him in my 4 years hunting this ranch and location. I think he is over 130". He slowly approaches an intersection in the trail but decides to linger in the woods for a while. Meanwhile, the younger 8 makes his way to the feeder. He piddles around for a while, eating bits of corn and eventually settles down. The old monarch continues to stand in the shadows of the forest, watching things happen and making rubs on various trees. As darkness approached, the old monarch eases out of the area up a hill into the timber.

Due to my hunting schedule this year, I decide that I will take the 3.5 year old 8 if he gives me a shot opportunity. Around sunset, the buck gives me a quartering away shot at 20 yards. I draw my bow back and reach full draw. The deer are at ease and don't know I am there. I get all my anchor points and pick a spot to aim. He has his close leg forward and is quartering away 10 degrees. I settle my pin 4 inches above his elbow, in line with his offside leg, and squeeze the release. The arrow thwacks him exactly where I aimed but much to my dismay, does not exit. I quickly try to determine how deep it went. It appeared I got 14-15" of penetration (roughly half of the arrow length.) He stumbles at the shot but then bolts very quickly across a creek bed and up the creek bank, making a tremendous amount of noise along the way. After 15 seconds or so, I hear a loud crash sound and then leaves thrashing and I thought he went down just at the top of the creek bank.

I wait 30 minutes or so and go to look for some blood right near the stand. I don't see any blood so I decide to go to the truck and wait 1.5 more hours to start blood trailing. After waiting, I get my flashlight and look for blood. Sadly I can’t find much blood and I decide to wait until morning.

The next morning I am thinking I will find the buck atop the creek bank in an open treed area. I start the blood trail and find pin sized drops every 5 feet at first but then lose the blood in the freshly fallen leaves, which also have red specks on them. Great!!

After searching with no luck for a few hours, I decide to search the area I thought I heard him fall. I grid search a large area for 3-4 hours and then see a fence crossing where he might have crossed and there is a few pin sized drops at the landing. I follow this weak blood trail for 35 yards before it goes completely away. After two days of searching, I have not found the buck. Sadly I am told the vultures have migrated south for the year. I hope there is some hope of vultures circling and the landowner finding him but I don’t know.

What did I do wrong in my shot? I realize an exit is critical from a tree stand and that the arrow and entry height made it a tough blood trail. Still though, how did the buck not succumb within 150 yards? The shot felt perfect and I see much less penetration kill them on TV all the time.

Thanks for any condolences.
    Attached Files

Tough luck...sorry to hear that. Did you find your arrow? Sounds like you may have found it...what was on the arrow?

Comment

Don't believe everything you see on TV for sure. Sounds like you did everything right. Lots of things could have happened though...for example the buck could have begun to spin away from the sound (they are quick) and caused the arrow to clip maybe part of one lung. They can also be tough beasts, surviving arrows, bullets and lots of mishaps. The lack of penetration you describe implies that perhaps you stuck him in the shoulder blade. With that little of a blood trail and the distance traveled, it wouldn't surprise me if you didn't see that buck again. It happens to the most experienced hunters.

Now get back out there and hunt that old monarch as the rut kicks in!

Comment

It happened to me once in just the same way. I shot a buck right behind the front leg evidently just a little high and I trailed it for nearly 400 yards before I lost the trail. I killed a doe this year with a nearly identical shot and got almost no blood trail, luckily with help from three other people we found her. Apparently you can't aim low enough even at 20 yards. Shake it off and get back out there.

Comment

Sounds like you had a tough break. If you the arrow went in 15" and didnt exit, then you probably hit the opposite shoulder bleade or leg bone. I would think that you would have a dead deer with that shot placement and angle? Sometimes **** just seems to happen.

Comment

It's hard to say. I was at a bow hunting day lease this weekend where everyone but me had video cameras. It was amazing to see the amount of movement a deer can make as the arrow travels beyond 15 yards. They seem to react at about the 15 yard point and by 20-25 can be on the ground and turned differently.

I shot a doe mid morning quartering away. It was a two blade rage that went in just behind the shoulder right above the heart and exited just in front of the opposite shoulder. It left a typical rage gash in and out slicing ribs. Luckily I saw the deer run about 50 yards before I lost sight and found it dead about 100 yards from the shot in slightly open terrain. I found three small spots of blood from a double lung pass through out of a ground blind.

Had this been at night I feel I may not have found this deer. JMO.

BTW…this is the second deer I’ve made a great shot with the rage and have had a very poor blood trail with. Both low lungs pass through shots.
            Last edited by Slick8; 11-17-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I did not find the arrow since it did not pass through. I did not find it broken anywhere either.

The deer could have ducked a little bit but I shot his left side and luckily he ran to the left, giving me a bit of time to inspect the penetration as he ran away. I believe roughly half the 29" arrow was hanging out. With that amount of penetration, it would make sense that it buried in the offside shoulder blade. I was able to inspect the shot placement for both vertical and horizontal placement and it looked good to me, granted I only had 2-3 seconds to inspect.

I just dont know how far he could have run with an arrow through most likely both lungs? How low does the shoulder blade dip down into the lung area when the close leg is forward?

Keep the comments coming.
              Last edited by Aggie07; 11-17-2010, 11:12 AM.

Comment

i am a lung kind of guy. instead of visualizing the off shoulder as an aiming point (which is not bad advice), i try to aim for a point at which i can pin both lungs. you might have aimed a little too far forward for a quartering away shot. you may have caught the front edge of the near lung but most likely missed the back one. a double lung shot deer will not go far. a one lung job is a different story. i have been there a time or two, it sucks, i feel for ya. good luck on the retrieve!

Comment

Deer can cover A LOT of ground in a short time. If the arrow anchored somewhere, back shoulder blade for example, it would have somewhat staunched the flow of blood. Thereby giving the deer the chance to cover more ground before succumbing. Sounds like a bad break. I'd chalk it up to "hunting" and "bad luck". Good luck going forward.

Comment

Did you backtrack where the buck came from? I've trailed many bucks hunters have shot with a rifle and they usually backtrack.

Comment

I did backtrack along the trail he came into the stand on but there was no blood. He may have gone back down that path but I really cant imagine him surviving for 45 minutes to an hour to wait to go back. I was in the stand for 30-45 minutes after the shot, then went looking under the feeder for blood and then went to my truck.

Comment

Working...
                      X