Mixed Emotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed Emotions

Friday I did a little walking in the area I hunt and when walking back the truck I came across a group of trees that were full of acorns. I kid you not I was standing under one tree and acorns were falling on me like rain drops. You could tell the deer were hitting these trees hard. Crazy thing was this group of trees is where I parked my truck. Go figure. No wonder I could here deer blowing in that direction more than normal. I figured it was at my truck but not because it was sitting on the breakfast table. But because of the south wind on Friday I decided to hunt over the feeder that evening again. I did not see one deer.

Saturday I decided to hunt a ladder we put up on a creek bottom. Seen a hand full of deer moving but nothing to talk about and nothing in bow range. Then around noon I decided to build some type of ground blind on the Oak trees that the deer were hitting. There was a fence line roughly 40 yards away with round bales on the opposite side of the fence. So I set up a chair and between fence and hay. With the wind I figured I would give it a try and see what would happen.

Well about 1:00 the wife called and said Jordan my five year old wanted to come out. So I said she needed to be there by 3:00 and he could go sit with me. So I knew the evening hunt would be more of a father son time than hunting. We get settled in a little after three on the fence line between the hay and fence. It was really a perfect little set up with good cover. The wind was blowing perfect and strong enough so Jordan could get away with some movement. This was cool because he was more interested in asking questions and moving around then hunting. But it was cool anyway. Then after an hour he had enough. He was ready to go shoot his little bow at camp and eat. So the wife came and picked him up at 4:00.

Well I had no deer movement till 5:45 when a small eight came out munching on the acorns. He didn't stay long and I had pretty much written this hunt down as another enjoyable hunt. Then at 5:55 really late a one eyed buck we seen several times and had many trail cam pics walked out of what seemed like nowhere. He was at least 45 yards out. Well past what I consider my range. But I had been shooting 35 plus yards at a 3D target all day on and off. But I knew that if I pass this buck I might not get a chance at a legal deer. AR county small ranch and lot's of neighbors who gun hunt. The good bucks are even questionable bucks don’t last long. Well I was able to stand up which made me feel confident with my shot. I get drawn not problem. Let the arrow fly. GEEEZZZ. I thought rut ro. I hit him back. He stops at 30 yards and I get another arrow and let it fly. It hits the mark and buck goes down within 40 yards in sight. WEW!!!! I am thinking can you believe that just happened. I decided to go back and get my son and wife before making the recovery. The excitement started to grow on my way back to the camp house. I was excited not to just get a bow kill on buck but to share the movement with my 5 yr old son and wife. A moment that will make this hunt memorable for a very long time and I am sure for him as well.

Buck was lying with thin five yards of the ranch road! My son was thrilled and my wife even helped me load him. That in itself was fun. You know he was not my biggest kill and my buck hunting is pretty much done with a long way to go. In many ways I wish I would have held out. But then I might not have even got a chance at a buck. The hunt was great with being able to share it but there is that part of me who still wants to kill the muy grande. So on one hand I am very proud but with mixed emotions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0679.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	24831720
    Last edited by WIKI; 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM.

man that's awesome ! my 8 yr old loves to go with me - never turn him down .

Comment

You shot a nice buck, got some meat in the freezer and MOST importantly of all you spent some excellent time with your son. It may not be your biggest buck but everytime you look at those horns your going to remember not only the shot but also the time spent with your son that evening. No better memories ever!

Comment

Congrats too you and your son!

Comment

Shoot man, their ain't a darn thing wrong with that buck at all!! dawgkllr summed it up to the T! Congrats on a fine trophy.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

That's great

Comment

Congrats. Great buck to share with your son.

Comment

It would be hard to top that day. You did good! Congrats.

Comment

awesome buck

Comment

That is an awesome buck. I hunt in an AR county too and that buck is a wall hanger no doubt! I went and sat all weekend and only saw a few does, no bucks, and hardly any corn eaters!

Comment

Congrats. What part of Lee Cty are you in?

Comment

I am in Dime Box

Comment

Very nice, congrats!

Comment

Working...
                            X