Awesome Ohio Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome Ohio Trip

My good friend Blake (Blackcloud) and I just returned from Ohio last week, where we got in 3 full days of hunting. We were hunting in Tuscarawas County, which is considered one of the best counties in Ohio for hunting. This hunt was organized with the group of guys I got in with for the Crow Ridge Productions DVD. All the guys we met were GREAT guys and they worked their tails off to get us on some good bucks. We were in high hopes to capture some great kills for the next DVD, which will be released this next spring. We hunted everyday from before sunup to 10:30 and were back out by 2:00 for the evening hunt. Most of the hunting was done from 30+ feet up in a hardwood tree, along steep ridgelines and pinch points. They too have tons of acorns right now.

My first hunt we had a hot doe and 2 bucks fighting near us in the dark. Before daylight ever broke, the doe moved off and the bucks of course followed. Shortly after that and much to my surprise a red fox approached. I came to full draw and he stopped behind a tree for a moment. Then he continued on the trail and gave me a perfect shot at 10 yards and I put him down. This was my first time to ever see a red fox and my first predator kill. The video is perfect and will be on the next DVD.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox Resize.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	24831623

Jump to Saturday morning. I was taken to one of their best spots where they have pictures of a legit 190” buck. It was 35º and snowing and I was PUMPED! At daylight we had 2 small does and a small buck chasing them out in an alfalfa field. I grunted and snort-wheezed the buck and he instantly bowed up. He walked a short distance to a tree line, made a rub for 10 minutes and then left up the hill. The does began to work their way to us. I drew and stopped one at 47 yards but she took one too many steps and I didn’t have a clear shot. Good thing, because she then walked right to the base of our tree and chewed on the bungee cord for the climber that was left on the ground. She then made her way out from the tree and gave me a perfect 12 yard shot. I made a perfect shot and she ran about 60 yards and crashed. Now she wasn’t a big doe, but it was the first and only deer I would get a shot at. The video was perfect and will also be used on the DVD.

Name:	Doe Resize.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	24831622

We were on bucks, does and turkeys all week, but just couldn’t get close enough. The last hunt I rattled in a good buck from 250 yards to about 70 yards before running out of daylight. Blake had what would have been his best buck ever at 5 yards, full draw with finger on the trigger, only to be held off by the cameraman because the buck wasn’t in the frame. There are a lot of giant bucks around, but the land plots are small and there is a lot of hunting. A 2.5 year old 120” 8pt is a good buck around there, but at the same time you could shoot a GIANT any day. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. They have killed a 140”, a 160” and a 150” on the same land I hunted, all since we left. We just missed the hot action. We will definitely be going back next year and for a little longer next time. A couple of those guys are coming down to Texas in early December, so hopefully we can get some great Texas kills for the DVD as we finish out the season.

Ohio is an awesome place to hunt!

Name:	Ohio_2.jpg
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	24831624

Name:	Ohio_3.jpg
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	24831625

Name:	Ohio_9.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	24831626

Name:	Ohio_10.jpg
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	24831627

Name:	Ohio_11.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	24831628

Name:	Ohio_13.jpg
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	24831629

Congrats on the fox and doe. Beautiful country for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congrats on an awesome trip! That red fox should make for beautiful mount! Looking forward to the dvd.

Comment

Sure is pretty country up there. I just returned from Ohio myself and also had a good trip. Very nice pictures

Comment

Even without shooting anything I had some of my best hunts ever. Really looking forward to going back next year!

Comment

Congrats on the fox and doe. Pretty country to hunt in.

Comment

Congrats on your fox and doe! Looks like some awesome country up there! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great Job, Can't wait until the DVD!

Comment

Great recap Jeff. Congrats on a couple of cool trophies.

Comment

Congrats on the fox & doe.... great pics!

Comment

Congrats Jeff on the fox and doe!! Looking forward to meeting you in a couple weeks when the skb changes hand.

Congrats again,

Bisch

Comment

It'd be neat just sitting in them woods. Good shooting on the fox and doe.

Comment

Nice write up Jeff.

Comment

Congrats Jeff. That fox is pretty cool.

Comment

sounds like a great oppurtunity for you Jeff; congrats.

Comment

Working...
                              X