Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my fist this weekend

Turkey that is....
    What a hunt. I went to the tree stand early, 2:30 pm to see if I could bring in this nice 8 that’s been visiting my BIL stand. I got some doe estrus and dragged it with some string behind me for about 100 - 150 yards before my stand. Sure enough, about 3:30pm he comes running in with a 6 pt following. I pull back when he goes behind some brush before the feeder, thinking he was going to stop by where I hung the doe estrus… but he doesn’t stop, he’s got his nose to the ground walks past the feeder, headed to my right and I have one more window of opportunity to shoot him. He walks out and I give him a maaaa sound to try and get him to stop, but he takes off faster. I was so mad, I knew better than to take a bad shot, but I was like Crap!, I blew my chance. The six stops looking around walks back to the feeder and then back the way they came in. I sit back second guessing myself, when I see more deer running off in the distance, I think here he comes again, wrong…Turkeys start chirping and walk out, 10 to 15 of them. Since they scared the deer off, I said if they stop by the feeder, I’m going to stick one. Placed the 20 yrd pin on a big one and thwack, one flies up then drops ~10 yds away. The 101st sent the Axis arrow with a Rage 2 blade right where it needed to be. The others just kept walking chirping, I almost thought about getting a double. I had grabbed another arrow and was set, but didn’t want to shoot over 30 yrds. I thanked the good lord for what he blessed me with and took my bird back to camp to celebrate a great hunt.
    Here she is, my first turkey, and with a bow to boot.
    Attached Files

Great job and quite the accomplishment with a bow.

Comment

nice work

Comment

Congratulations, those turkey are hard to get from a tree stand.

Comment

Nice! I've never been turkey hunting, are they hard to shoot?

Comment

Nice turkey. Congrats.

Comment

Congratulations on your first. Love hunting turkey with a bow.

Comment

Good job on the bird. They will bust you quicker than a deer will.

Comment

Congrats on the Thunder Chicken!

Bisch

Comment

nice turkey

Comment

Great job, nice bird and just in time for Thanksgiving! Might want to check the typo in the title though, just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Genevieve View Post
                        Nice! I've never been turkey hunting, are they hard to shoot?
                        They didn't seem to spook as much as the deer do, but this was the first time they showed up when I was on stand.

Originally posted by txrdkng View Post
                        Great job, nice bird and just in time for Thanksgiving! Might want to check the typo in the title though, just sayin
                        Yea, I changed the title a couple times, then just submitted it...didn't 2x check the spelling.

Comment

Way to lay the smack down on the bird Rob, congrats.

You'll get another chance at the buck.

Comment

nice! congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                            X