Black Hawaiin completes my Texas Slam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Hawaiin completes my Texas Slam

Well for the last month and a half Luckie aka Mike has been telling me I need to go to this new ranch that opened up run by Keith Johns. Well with all the record rains closing the local lakes and ruining my planned camping trip to lake Georgetown I decided to call Keith at the last minute for an axis doe hunt. He had one last opening for the weekend so I jumped on it. What a blessing in disguise this was. I headed out of Georgetown friday morning to meet up with Keith in Floresville. I got to the ranch around 3 that afternoon and met Throwin Darts, his dad, and Wade Keiths son. We sat around talking till it was time for the evening hunt and headed to our stands. I sat in a stand behind a tank and saw some young axis bucks a fallow as well as some rams but not the axis doe I was saving a phantom for. Keith Picked us after dark and solocam00 had showed up in time to stick a pig. We got to witness Keiths dog tank go to work and find the pig in no time. We got back to the camp house that evening and Keith had axis and red deer meat ready to chicken fried and a big pot beans to boot. We ate are fill then headed to bed with spotted deer dancing in my dreams. Saturday morning came early and we where off to the stands for our morning sit. I saw red deer, fallow bucks whitetail, black Buck, and rams but still no elusive axis does. We than went to a 65 acre section that is overloded with pigs and tried to put a stalk on some swine. That evening we went back to the stands for another shot with nothing I was looking for showing I decided to change my trip to a ram hunt since I had seen a nice black ram that morning that would complete my slam. Well sunday morning got to us and it was crunch time. About an hour into our sit the rains came and we got pounded for about 45 min. Thinking I was going home empty handed the rain stopped and mr. ram showed up as soon as the rain let up. When I finally got a clear shot I took it. To my dismay another bumped him right when I hit the release and the crimson talon hit him pretty far back. Keith came to pick us up and we found my ram about 300 yrds away in some trees. We got on them and finished him off. I may not of got my axis but I did get a good ram. You are doing yourself a huge injustice if you do not book with Keith. He is a heck of a man and his son wade will keep you in stitches with his "Hoyts for hobos". I am already planning my next trip to Floresville in search of an exotic buck. It was great meeting new folks and new places and look forward to sharing a campfire with those guys again.

Nice. Congrats.

Comment

haha good times man, congrats again.....that crimson really opened that thing up, I was surprised. hopefully I can make a hunt to Thompsons with ya'll sometime........NO BOONES FARMS' allowed.......

Comment

congrats on you ram, and completing your slam

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats!!! How did you like that stand you sat in? thats the one I sat in for my axis doe and pig....both in the same sitting about 10 minutes apart. I love that place. there are so many animals there!

Comment

Congrats on the ram and the Slam!!

Comment

Nice ram. Congrats.

Comment

fun hunting with you guys.

Solocam, definitely hit up thompson temples. I'll bring the boones and mad dog.

Comment

Very nice. Congrats on the slam.

Trailboss

Comment

nice ram..congrats

Comment

Very nice, John! Congrats!
                        Jeff Young

Comment

very nice that place has some great animals.

Comment

Nice job, congrats.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X