Finally Bowanta Scores......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Bowanta Scores......

I posted the other day talking about how bad my season has been this year. Well it changed today.

I posted a pic the other day asking abotu a Cull Buck. He is a good sized deer but no brow tines, and I recieved mixed reviews..
    Well at 8:00 this morning, I have him walking into my set up.I look him over and realize there are NOT any brow tines and make the decision to take him if given a chance. He walks in to 7 yards from my stand and I try to draw on him as he passes a tree, but as he clears the tree he turns facing me and bust me..I freeze and he wheels around the way he came in but then turned north away from me. I bleat at him a couple of times and he never stops. He is now out of my line of sight and I cannot believe the luck... I think to myself, AGAIN?????
    I hang my bow back and lean against the tree... Still not believing my luck. I turn and look west and see ANOTHER buck. A much BETTER buck.. I grab my bow and he continues to walk towards me. at 30 yds. he turns south into a cedar lane, and keeps walking to me. I see my lane and start getting ready. That is when I notice the wind direction. I knew if I did not get a shot at the first opening, he would be DIRECTLY down wind of me. He hits the opening and stops. I settle the pin and cut the shot. He was at 18 yds. I track the arrow flight and at about 16yds. the arrow kicks left. The Easton Epic 340 tipped with a 100grain 2 blade Rage smacks him in the neck. He crashes to the ground and starts flopping around. He rolls around for a bit and gets to his feet. I already have another arrow nocked and I am trying to find the lane to the vitals without Gut Shooting him. I see my spot and cut the second shot only for him to move and I missed. I bolts to right below me. and then I see the Blood POURING out of his neck and he is just standing there with a death stare in his eyes. Here is the puddle under the stand
    Click image for larger version

Name:	stand blood 10312010.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	24828308

I could not get another arrow nocked and he turns and trots off, then starts walking and I am watching the blood pour out of him. I am thinking this is a dead deer.

I give him about 30 minutes and go get my two arrows. I am thinking the one from his neck would be broken but it wasn't. The Rage Tip is Bent at a 45 degree angle.
    I meet up with Travins and we walk out to the truck to give the buck a little more time.
    We get back out and start the tracking.
    It started off really well, then slowed to this

Name:	blood 10312010.JPG
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	24828309

Long story short, we had tracked him for about a mile when we find a place where he fell into a creek. We cross and try to fnd blood. We find about 5 drops and thoroughly search everywhere. Totally digusted, I am thinking we have lost him. We start to find our way out of the woods and have traveled about 400 yards from the last blood when Travis says BLOOD.. We get back on a track and track for another hour and a half. He hits a cedar thicket and does a back track. It is now 2:30 and we know Travis has to be at his office by 5 pm. We cannot locate anymore blood and decide to get Travis home. We take off and walk throught the woods and hit a black top road. Turn north and continue. We get to a cut corn field and I tell Travisd we should cut through there to save some time and A LOT of walking. We cut across the corn field, cross the creek, and hit a soybean field that is about 400 yards across. We get 250 yards across when I hear Travis say BLOOD.. I look and there is a steady line of Fresh Blood. We jump on it and start following. The trail leads us to some more woods and another Creek. Travis get to the bank and says I am going down come on. We get down there and I see why he wanted to. There is A LOT of blood everywhere. We cross the creek and start up the next bank.
    Then we hear it. The buck jumps up and starts running. Travis says "That's you buck... I see the blood running out of his neck". It is not 3:30 so I tell Travis to go get the truck and where I will meet him.
    I try to fiond the trail and could not. I catch up with Travis and we Fly home so he can get to work. On the way I call my wife and ask her if she wants to help track and she says YES...
    We get back out there at 5 this evening. We go into the woods where Travis and I slid down to the creek. I show her the blood and we work up the other side. We find the trail but it is not blood on the ground, it is swipes on the brush. We track for about 100 yds and he goes back down towards the creek. The creek narrows down and we find a Silver Dollar spot of blood on two leaves in the creek.
    We saearched for about another 45 minutes and NOTHING... I finally say that he took this trail and we will follow it back to the road looking for Blood or a Dead Deer. We had gone about 75 yds when I notice a Log that does not look right. I tell my wife to stop and I ease up.
    10 Hours and 25 minutes after the shot and about 3 miles of tracking, I finally get my hands on a Kansas Buck.... This is my First Buck with my bow in 8 years. My Best ever Buck (Bow or Gun) and a Memory I will never forget...

Name:	LDP Buck10312010.JPG
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	24828310

This deer's body was HUGE.... It was all I could do to get him up the hill for the LDP.... I did have to gut him first....
    I am 6'1" 250lbs, and him next to me. Notice the missing hair on his back from fighting... He also had a big healed over gash across the top of his neck...

Name:	Hang pic 10312010.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24828311

I know he won't score a whole lot, he is 9 points with one little kicker, so he could be a 10... his rigth side is really weird.... Sorry anbout the pics, all I had was my Blackberry...
    Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.. Just still really happy...
    Last edited by Bowanta; 10-31-2010, 10:40 PM.

dang nice deer congrats to you sir

Comment

Congrats on the buck. Long tracks are emotional roller coasters but when you find the deer it makes it all worth while.

Comment

Glad you stuck with it and found your buck. Congratulations.

Comment

awsome hunt!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Glad you got to put your hands on him. Congrats.

Comment

Emotional Roller Coaster is an uderstatement... When We finally walked up on him after
                8+ hours of tracking, I could not believe it.
                This is the Biggest Bodied deer I have ever harvested. He is also My Best Buck....

Comment

he's a stud.....

Comment

Way to stick with it toill you found him. A lot of guys would have given up and never got him.

Congrats,

Bisch

Comment

nice buck

Comment

That is a story that was meant to be.

Comment

Nice deer. You think the Rage opened up to make it kick?

Comment

Congrats on sticking with it and finding him.

Comment

Congratulations on shooting & finding your buck!

Comment

Working...
                              X