First deer kill with bow! Full story!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First deer kill with bow! Full story!

Well here is the story: Hunting on my grandfather’s farm in Bosque County. I have not been seeing any deer on the trail camera in some time now, only one big boar. Friday morning (10-8-10) my wife tells me, why don't you go hunt this evening. I said no, I have to pick the kids up from school. She said I am getting off early today and can pick them up so go ahead and hunt if you want to. So I take off from work at 2p.m. At 4p.m. I am in my tripod stand overlooking a corn feeder 20 yards away with my thermocell blasting! My expectations are low since I have no deer activity on the trail cam. I was just hoping to get a shot off on the big boar that had been coming in. I sat there quietly in the heat until the sun began to set. Right as shooting light was almost gone a nice buck walks past me headed to the feeder. I could tell he was a good legal buck but the excitement kept me from realizing just how nice he really was. After sitting there for a minute to try and get my shaking hands under control, I raise my bow. I put the top pin on the kill zone and let one rip! The buck went crashing thru the brush! I could hear small limbs of brush being broken as he tore thru the brush. I sat in my blind for a whole hour after the shot questioning myself on whether or not he was really as big as I thought he was before the shot. After I climbed down from the stand I went to camp and called my grandfather and told him that I just shot a really nice deer. I called on my neighbor and a friend of his to help me with my tracking job. We found a piece of arrow under the feeder with blood on it but no other blood in sight. After looking all over the area of the feeder I put in a call to my buddy Matt (GOOSEDOG on TBH) for some additional help. Matt and Dale were on their way from Burleson. Me and my neighbor were on our hands and knees looking for blood, knees were sore, flashlights going dead but we kept looking. We found two little drops of blood 100 yards away from the feeder. At this time the flashlights were all dead. I went to camp for more lights and grabbed my Q beam spot light. On the way back to the scene I was scanning the property for a white belly. About 300 yards from where I shot there he lay! He was everything I thought he was and more! I can’t even explain my excitement! I then placed a call to Matt who was pulling in the gate. After a short celebration the neighbor was on his way and me, Matt, and Dale loaded him up and gutted him. Only camera we had was Matt’s cell phone. The next morning I was at the Clifton feed store to enter him in the big buck contest. I know once rifle season gets here he won’t stand a chance but still fun to enter. I learned a valuable lesson this weekend= just because you are not seeing deer on your trail camera don’t mean they won’t walk in and surprise you! Many thanks to my neighbor Byron, his friend Darrell, Matt, and Dale for all the help Friday night.
    Attached Files

He's a dandy. Congrats!

Comment

Nicely done...congrats!

Comment

Excellent bow buck brotha. Thats a fine first bow buck. Congrats.

Comment

Nice deer and story

Comment

That Boy is Wide! Congrats on a beautiful deer.

Comment

And to think you were wanting to come to Aspermont with us! lol

Comment

Originally posted by cz52man View Post
                That Boy is Wide! Congrats on a beautiful deer.
                Thanks! 18 3/4 wide

Comment

Very nice , congrats

Comment

nice deer! congrats

Comment

Congratulations on a fine 1st bow kill! I love those WIDE ones!

Comment

Congrats! That is a nice surprise to show up.

Comment

Fine animal. Grats

Comment

It looks just as wide and makes a good pic if you don't hold the ears back. Great buck and story!

Comment

Always has to be the one guy who can't just say congrats without judging on one thing or another

Comment

Working...
                              X