how long does deer meat stay good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how long does deer meat stay good

Cleaning out the freezer I found some chili meat from a doe I shot in 08. Think its still good?

It's probably fine. I'd be more worried about freezer burn than it going bad.

Comment

Great question! I often wondered the same.

Comment

yeah, I guess that is what i was really asking. how long does it take for freezer burn to set in

Comment

hmm, just realized I put this in the wrong forum...meant to post in the campfire

Comment

Depends on how well it is packaged. I have had some that was 2 years old and was fine and others that lost the vaccuum seal and didn't last 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by skime View Post
              Depends on how well it is packaged. I have had some that was 2 years old and was fine and others that lost the vaccuum seal and didn't last 3 months.
              I agree with this. It depends on the packaging. If any air gets to the meat, it will freezer burn super quick. The burger grind I have left from last season is still perfect. It comes in those plastic 1lb packages. I had a tenderloin for dinner Sat from the same deer and it was fine as well.

Comment

depends on how its packaged, wax paper usually will last a year with no issue but will burn if not wrapped good

Comment

Working...
                X