Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Meat Haul Weekend - Wood County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Haul Weekend - Wood County

Long time reader first time poster...

Took off after work Friday to hit the stands for an hour or so. Had a doe at my feeder as I walked up to it so I never made it to the stand, just sat under a pine tree and watched her and her twins eat until it got too dark to see. The wife was hunting her ladder stand about 300 yards away and had two doe pass by out of range.

Got up Saturday morning, hit the stands for a few hours. Let a doe walk that had twin button bucks with her. Coyote passed out of range. The wife had a doe bust her, think it smelled her, and snort for a while before leaving.

Saturday afternoon, the wife wanted to get in the stands early because as she put it "I can shoot one early then come back in and watch the Ranger's game while you go back and hunt." So we went out about 2:00.

It was hot, mosquitoes the size of cardinals, but it beat sitting on the couch (although I really could have used a nap). About 3:30 I get a text that she stuck a doe with her crossbow. 50 yard tracking job, doe piled up under a pine tree. Skinned and on ice by 4:30. She goes in to watch the Rangers I go sit in her stand.

I'm covered up in deer. Scared two off while walking out, two more pass by out of range. A couple button bucks come to feeder (I've never seen this many fawns or button bucks in a season before, the wet spring helped) then leave. Three unidentifiable deer walk through some pine trees about 75 yards away.

Text from wife reads 1-0 Rangers. I can hear some deer walking through the woods on my right. Out pops doe #1, too small, doe #2 too small, followed by yet another button buck. Doe #3, just right. Big enough to eat, not so old she'll taste like boot leather.

Another text from wife, tied at 1-1. Dangit. They hang out for about 25 minutes but there are always two eating and two looking around so I can't draw back, plus I can hear another deer walking around in the woods.

Another text from wife, Kinsler bomb 2-1, at least she's keeping me updated. The deer in the woods that I can hear but not see is apparently never coming out, it's getting dark so I decide to take the doe. I finally get a chance where three deer are eating facing away from me and the doe I want is broadside at 24 yards. Double lung with Muzzy 100 gr, 75 yard tracking job.

Also caught a small pig in a trap so I there are two deer and a pig in the cooler at home waiting to get turned into family sized portions and put in the freezer.
    Last edited by PaulB; 10-31-2010, 04:58 PM.

Sweet! Congrats!!

Comment

Congrads on His and Hers

Comment

Nice shooting!

Comment

Hey, a two-fer! Congrats!

Comment

awesome

Comment

Awesome twosome!!!!!!!!!! great job!

Comment

great job

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

Nice couples combo

Comment

Great job by both of you
                      congrats !

Comment

Cool!!!!!

Comment

Great story, pics and write up! Congratulations.

Comment

Nice shooting, thanks for not posting the final score and reminding me again that they blew it!

Comment

Good job

Comment

Working...
                              X