Roamin' 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roamin' 10

Roamin' 10 was a buck just meant to be for me.

The whole story started back in February when we "Corn Slinger,The Arrower" and I found this new lease. Went through the interview process of getting accepted on the lease and we were off and running.

First order of business for me was to scout this are I had been eyeballin' and as the morning progressed I had seen a 10-point that really didn't get my attention at the time. Fast forward to the Summer Time were we started getting pictures of a big 10-point on 4 different protein stations. These 4 stations formed a triangle area 5.6 miles in total round trip distance. The name "Roamin' 10" was given to this traveling protein pig who seemed to never miss a meal of protein every day it was out. August 8th was here and I couldn't take it any more,it was time to go scout a spot out that I knew he could show up at. Right before dark here he comes and I'm thinking maybe 145"ish at the time. Drove home,hooked up the video camera and watched the video a few times .......accidentally backed the video up to that morning I videoed that 10-point I didn't think much of back in February and guess what! That's right,it was him from the end of February but 25"-30" smaller
    Now here is where it gets kinda interesting for me anyway. I was allowed to setup my own personal spot but our lease that is mainly a free range hunting lease with a sign in board for all 24 feed spots for hunting. I setup in a area that was open that I really liked anyway,started feeding corn in June or July "I cant remember" exactly with my favorite blind and feeder system. This area is sitting on the South portion of the Roamin' 10's core feeding route. The corn feeding took a while to get going but soon I had several nice bucks showing up. Some of the bucks are real young but 2 different bucks with age started coming in....one a wide 9 "21-22" inside spread that will go upper 130's,maybe 140" and the other a mainframe 10 in the Mid 130's. Next thing you know guess who shows up on this spot...lol...Roamin" 10.

September is here now and the protein stations are running out for the last time. Roamin' 10 is so smart that he finds the ones with remaining protein and is also frequenting the nearby corn feeders at these spots. I had my doubts at the time as to where this guy was going to be at come opening morning. One station had protein in it until about 10 days before season and another one by my personal spot still does right now. The only good thing at the time was Roamin' 10 had become a regular at my corn feeder up until the 9-24 when he disappeared until the day I shot him

Opening morning is here and I'm so tired from no sleep the previous night that I can hardly stay awake.....until it got light outside anyway....lol....then I was wide awake. That morning I had a few doe and 3 small bucks come in. After a power nap that afternoon due to a migraine headache I was back in the stand at 5 pm. This time I had a little better hunt with a 10-point showing up that I'd been wanting to see in person scoring near 135" but again,no Roamin' 10. I pulled my camera card and gathered my gear and headed home to spend time with the family. Checked the card and again no pics of the Roamin' 10 who had been so consistent before and now on a 8 day vacation to who knows where. The next morning I slept in!

October the 3rd evening hunt is here and I caught a ride from my buddy "Corn Slinger" to the lease. We had a feeling this could be the hunt that he shows back up. I was still a little skeptical due to some past experiences with situations with bucks like this disappearing in to thin air to never be seen again. I drop Corn Slinger off and head to my spot and get settled into the blind for the evening hunt. One push of the remote feeder button at 5pm and here we go. Five minutes go by and here comes a doe with her fawn. I watch these two scan the surrounding area for me while they ate the yellow gold. Just like always the sudden head movement stare lets me know there is a deer coming from the East. Two minutes or so later from behind a cedar tree look who it is......Roamin" 10. Quick glance through the binos to confirm his stature and its go time,camera is turned on and recording. After recording him for a minute and the position presenting itself under the feeder that I like the PSE let the air out of a deer that I had been fortunate enough to have so much time with. The G5 T3 did a number on him and he fell 35-40 yard right in front of me. I'm at this point a nervous wreck but held it together for the video and shot. No tracking job needed or long wait because I could see him the entire time. After I knew he was expired I started the rare walk up to a trophy class animal. The rest is hard to put into words but I was living yet another dream in my world. I could go on and on about the rest of that evening/night that ended about 1am the next morning. Friends and family texting and coming to see Roamin' 10 lasted late into the night.

Thanks to all who have followed along this Summer through all the T/C piX threads and guessing score on Roamin' 10......something I'll remember the rest of my life!
    Measured out at 154 7/8"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KingsX; 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM.

Great buck, congrats!

Comment

Told you he would blow right by 150. Very nice deer. Congrats

Comment

Excellent recap and AWESOME deer Jeremy....I know its been a long time coming and couldn't happen to a better guy.......Congrats my friend...

Comment

good job! awesome deer!

Comment

Great write up. Love those skyline pics

Comment

Very nice, congrats on a great buck.

Comment

that is a great buck man, congrats!

Comment

His jaws aged 6 1/2 years old

Comment

Congrats great buck!!

Comment

Great buck. Congrats

Comment

Very good!! Congratulations on a well designed and executed plan.

Comment

Great buck and story!! Congrats!

Comment

I've been waiting for an Irion Co LDP!! Congratulations on that big buck!

Comment

That is an awesome deer and great story
                              Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X