Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Africa Experience - 10 days, 12 animals, Countless New Friends, Memories for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I climbed out of the hole, we were laughing so hard we could barely contain ourselves until Anthony said....."You know, we're bouncing around out here with our litte lights making all kind of racket.......and there's cape buffalo in this area"

On that note, I figured we had a couple of close opportunities and should call it a night, but luckily, we weren't quite finished yet.

Comment

Heading back to the lodge, we came across another porcupine. This one must have heard about all the crap we've been through and felt sorry for us......he stood perfectly broadside and offered an excellent shot.

After I shot him, he took a few steps and fell over. Anthony said "He's not quite dead yet, no death rattle" I didn't know what that meant at that exact moment until only a few seconds later when he did it......the death rattle.

All of the quills shake at an unbelievable rate, similar to a rattle snake, but maybe not quite as loud, right at death. It was very cool to hear it, never quite heard a sound like that before.

We took a night picture as well as one the next morning. He will make a most impressive and unusal life size mount.
      Attached Files

Comment

Olright all, hopefully we can wrap this thing up tomorrow or at the latest, Friday!!!!!!

Good night!
        Last edited by MichaelW; 09-15-2010, 09:38 PM.

Comment

I am not sure what I will do with my evenings when you are done. Another great recap tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Oscar, why could you not bring your guinnea fowl home? I got mine with no problems.
            I was reading the export list in the blind and the guinea was not listed. I never thought to actually ask if it was ok!!! I may have blown that one......no big deal as there are zillions of those critters there.
            Originally posted by MichaelW View Post
            Oscar....keeping it nice and short now, started that since the Academy a couple of years ago, I guess it has been awhile for us bud!
            Yea, it has been sometime now. I like the look though!
            After the high 5's and pictures, we loaded up the waterbuck and took it back to camp for the skinners to cape it out.
            And now, one of the funnest parts of Africa, we were headed back out to hunt. .
            Congrats on a very nice Waterbuck! He was 2nd on my list this year also. Really like the mounts I have seen also. Well played.........and YES the hunt is just getting started when one animal is down early in the day!!!

Comment

that is a cool looking porcupine

Comment

That porcupine is cool!!! When I was in South Africa last year I hunted for three nights trying to get one...

Congrats on what will be an awesome mount!

Comment

advised me that this was indeed a very good nyala. .
                  LOL..........that NYALA may make Top 10 in the world with a bow dude!!! The mass on those pics are incredible. I love those critters and being very thinned skin and shallow chest it don't take much to put them in the dirt. Congrats!!!
                  A nice genet...
                  U scoundrel........I was hoping to get one on this trip but as you noted it is VERY rare to ever see one!!! congrats on a once in lifetime critter right there!!!

Comment

Michael, you have to finish by Friday! I will be on a plane Saturday at 11:50 AM for a trip over the pond to the Limpopo. I should have internet service at the motel in Dallas Friday night to see the finish of your African saga.

Comment

Arguably, my personal favorite of the trip
                      Boo-yah.........I feel ya on that!!! You nailed the triangle on that shot man!!! I have two and will take another on the next trip over if given the opportunity.

Comment

Very Nice Warthog..Congrats

Comment

Of course, while I already had a huntch; I still had to ask.....just where exactly do you shoot a baboon?
                          I would have had the same question as it was not in the "Perfect Shot" book I kept in my backpack!!!
                          I witnessed the baboons do just about everything you can imagine....and yes I mean everything!!!! No worries on the pictures though.....this is a family site.
                          GREATLY appreciated as many folks either don't care or don't realize that about TBH!!!
                          Anthony said....."Shoot it like you would a person"
                          And the arrow was on its way....
                          Great line of the thread........so far!!! And YEs, that arrow was well on it's way.....perfection in the flight of that arrow!!! Boo-Yah!!!

Comment

ok 9 pages in 45 minutes....great read so far.

You seemed a little clumbsy in the first part of the hunt, nervous, excited....?

I will probably ask you about everything at Bownanza so be prepared to talk!

Comment

It’s funny how quick you can turn from a confident “Superman” to a bumbling “Clark Kent” as the sound of a close and approaching animal causes your palms to start sweating, your body temperature to rise, a noticeable change in your breathing, and even one or more of your extremities to shake uncontrollably……
                              Ahh! The joys of bowhunting!!!!!
                              This folks is what bowhunting exemplifies!!! Well said....no drugs or alcohol needed!!!
                              , I heard Anthony whisper “58-59 inches”.
                              OMG........that is a pure upper limit beast!!!! 1 in 500+ KUDU are between 58 - 62 inches! I hope you get another crack at him. I spent approximately 23- 26 hours to get mine and it was 55.5 inches green score. I would have loved to have just seen one pushing 60'!!! Wow!!!
                              he whirled around with zero hesitation and was simply gone!
                              The GREY GHOST strikes again!!!
                              Ultimately, the decision was made and we ended up finishing this one with the rifle.
                              Great decision! Of my 13 African animals I had to use a rifle to finish off my giraffe last month......even with a heart shot from my bow. Easiest decision I ever made while bowhunting, i was just scared I would miss since I really don't use guns!
                              Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              Once again A big Congrats Michael. Great Black Wildebeest. One of the critters on my list this year.
                              Doug, I only saw one in 15 days of hunting and it was not coming close for a shot. I would love one also.........next time!!
                              almost had an opportunity at a white blesbok, but he came, drank, and left before we even knew what happened.
                              Been there more than once over there!!! Kinda humiliating when the water is less than 30 yards away!!!
                              As they were coming in, they all looked awesome. I turned to Anthony and whispered "which one"?.
                              LOL........yep it is crazy!!! I blew a chip shot (9 yards) on a Red Hartebeest because I did not know which one to thwack.
                              A striking animal of Africa
                              Those clown face critters are very pretty!!! She is a good one also. Nice shooting right there!
                              Originally posted by Buck Roar View Post
                              For some reason I thought the Black wildebeast would have been bigger.
                              I had the same thought until I finally saw one last month. After shooting a blue wildebeest just days before it was interesting how much smaller they were. Those devil horns are sweeeeeeet though.!!!!! Congrats on a beautiful Black Wildebeest Mike, gonna look good on the wall!!!
                              Originally posted by bearkat2004 View Post
                              the price will only go up. !
                              Prices are flat/down and probably will be for the next 2-3 years as the economy struggles forward. Great time to jump in with both feet. Not as expensive as you may think.
                              Originally posted by HeavyG View Post
                              The writing itself is great but the frame by frame pictures make the story phenomenal. I am really thinking I need to go to Africa and might could afford the trip but what's the taxidermy bill going to be for all this. I may need longer to save up. I think I'm addicted to this thread like the rest of you.
                              I gotta learn how to do that frame by frame deal also......it is the BOMB!!! You can get your pricing for taxidermy well before you leave and have a pretty close idea as to the cost. I did not even look at costs my second trip as the first time I was waaaay overkill worried about my budget. Let the arrows fly as you are a loooong way from home and have years to get the animals back from the taxi!!!
                              I figured I would just worry about the minor details that after the fact....
                              J/K of course....hadn't really added it up, but just plan to do all of it over time!
                              U r a quick study sir!!!
                              .....I had to have one!!!!!!
                              I know that feeling all to well!!
                              Seriously, how ugly is this thing.....but man will he look good on the wall.
                              That hog has gotta be 14"+??????? Great mass......i likey!!!
                              All of the quills shake at an unbelievable rate, similar to a rattle snake, but maybe not quite as loud, right at death. It was very cool to hear it, never quite heard a sound like that before.
                              We took a night picture as well as one the next morning. He will make a most impressive and unusal life size mount.
                              Very kewl!!! Did not know about the rattle sound! Great info. Now I wish I would have shot the one treed at 12' in Alaska some years ago. Dang, i was being way to nice! That is definitely gonna be a very kewl full body mount!!! Congrats on that night crawler!

Comment

i seem to have fallen a little behind on this thread. call me crazy....but that gemsbok is my favorite so far. beautiful animal

Comment

Working...
                                X