Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Africa Experience - 10 days, 12 animals, Countless New Friends, Memories for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After taking the pictures and loading up the gemsbok, we headed over to the mountainous area where we had placed trail cameras earlier in the week. As we checked the pictures, we had impala, warthog, eland, young kudu, even bush pigs, but no mature bulls. Anthony was really working hard on trying to locate and pattern a big, mature kudu bull.

We had come close twice, matter of fact, really close.... but here we found ourselves nearing the end of the week with still no kudu. While we still had a few days left, it was definitely on both of our minds.

Comment

When it comes to Africa, I've noticed the kudu is usually on the top of most hunters list. While I have always thought they were extremely stunning with their long spiral horns and handsome colors, I never considered them one of the animals I had to have before leaving Africa. However, after a combination of seeing these exquisite animals up close and the newfound major respect of their elusiveness.....I had to have one!!!!!!

Comment

For the afternoon hunt, Anthony made a suggestion that I hunt alone so that he could continue working the trail cameras as well as scout another area. While I enjoyed and actually preferred him with me in the blind, the idea seemed very appealing. Back home, I am always in the blind by myself and filming my own hunts. I enjoy the added difficulty in not only trying to arrow the animal, but perfectly capture it on film. In fact, in recent years, I usually won't shoot unless I can capture it on film. So, here in this distant land, I looked forward to the opportunity in testing my ability in not only making the shot, but effectively capturing it on film.

Additionally, since I would be back in the small blind where we hunted earlier in the week and had come so close to the big warthog in, the absence of Anthony's perfectly suited for Rugby frame would allow me a little more breathing room in the blind.

I setup my gear and prepared for the late afternoon/evening hunt. It wasn't long and I had a few guest.
        Attached Files

Comment

Watching these things walk around on their knees is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. When I finally get all this footage together and make a video, you'll have to check it out.....these things walking around on their knees is absolutely hilarious.
          Attached Files

Comment

In addition to the warthogs, I had a handful of baboons in and around the area as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

A little later, I had another guest, one a little more interesting coming in. While he wasn't a monster, I believed he was a respectable specimen and started getting ready for a shot.
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh boy! Here we go! Keep it coming man.

Comment

As he came in towards the water, I prepared to draw my bow. I figured out real quick I hadn't exactly set my tripod up in the best way, nor was my chair positioned that well. As I began fumbling around in the blind relocating everything, each bumbling sound I made seemed overly amplified. Amazingly, throughout all the shuffling, the impala never spooked.

I drew my bow back as he was quartering to, waiting for him to turn I placed the pin right up the leg on that line were the light and dark brown meet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Rather than turn just the little I needed, he finished drinking and started making an exit. I kept the pin on him just waiting for that small window of opportunity.
                    Attached Files

Comment

As he stopped, I had no shot as the other impala were directly behind him. He continued his exit and the opportunity was gone.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The good thing about hunting a place with a target rich environment, a new opportunity is subject to arrive at anytime.

I didn't have much time to over analyze the impala situation before this big boy stepped into view.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If anybody's wondering......that attractive looking game bird is called a Franklin.

Comment

As he came strolling by, I was already at full draw.....just waiting for him to stop.
                            Attached Files

Comment

And then he did.....
                              Attached Files

Comment

I radioed Anthony and let him know what happened. As he requested, I waited for his arrival before taking up the track. After a short blood trail, we found the animal with a face that truly, only a mother.......and bowhunter could love!

Seriously, how ugly is this thing.....but man will he look good on the wall.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by MichaelW; 09-15-2010, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X