Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Africa Experience - 10 days, 12 animals, Countless New Friends, Memories for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this day, we were back in a pit blind. Throughout the week, we were slowly starting to put a dent in my somewhat long wish list. However, because Africa has so much to offer, there was so much more available than my list could hold.

Comment

Great story!!

Comment

This particular morning was one of those mornings when it all came together....and quick.

While looking out the window of the blind, I noticed we had guest en route.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is great. Keep it coming. Are we at 5 or 6 animals now?

Comment

As the gemsbok began coming in, Anthony always paying close attention to the wind, picked up one of the various pieces of zebra dung scattered on the floor of the blind and lit it.

Yes, that's right. We were burning zebra crap. Over there, this is a usual practice that works very well. We used it several times throughout the hunt. The burning smell of zebra dung provides a cover scent that calms the animals.

Comment

Originally posted by J-J Matt View Post
              This is great. Keep it coming. Are we at 5 or 6 animals now?
              Thanks bud, I can't recall, but I wasn't counting the guinea in my 12.

Comment

As they were coming in, they all looked awesome. I turned to Anthony and whispered "which one"?

As they began coming in closer, Anthony and I quickly discussed the differences between the male and female as they both have horns. Generally speaking, the females have longer horns while the males have more mass.

We were primarily looking at a group of females. Anthony closely examined them and pointed out a good one.

Comment

We just needed to ensure she was not pregnant. She quickly came into range and we were able to determine she was not.

As she walked past the blind quatering away, she held a perfect and relaxed position.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I drew back, focusing on the opposite leg and loosed the arrow.....
                    Attached Files

Comment

We felt the shot was good, but called the tracker and waited for him to arrive. He got there and we picked up the trail.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Those frame by frame photos are almost as good as the story. From what little I know, the gemsbok shot placement looked perfect! Was it dead on or a tad high?

Comment

About this time, Anthony saw the gemsbok before we did. He grabbed me and said "Mike, I'm not so sure about the shot anymore, we should have already found her by now"

Right away my heart sank, I think he must have noticed it cause right away, he said, Nahh, I'm just kidding......there's your gemsbok!!!!

I told him, don't ever do that to me again.....that just ain't right.

She didn't go far at all.
                          Attached Files

Comment

you have you some amazing trophys cant wait for more congrats to you again

Comment

A striking animal of Africa
                              Attached Files

Comment

the dang refresh button is worn out.. OUtstanding.

Comment

Working...
                                X