Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Africa Experience - 10 days, 12 animals, Countless New Friends, Memories for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard this before, but these animals seemed just plain crazy! They bucked, kicked, ran around and acted just plum wild as heck.

Eventually after getting close to coming in and then leaving, they ultimately started working their way in our direction.
    Attached Files

Comment

As the lead one strolled past, I placed the pin and sent an arrow on its way.
      Attached Files

Comment

After the shot, Anthony and I talked and we really weren't sure about it. We noticed alot of the arrow still protruding as he ran off. We rewound the video and tried to see, but still just weren't sure.

We gave it a little time and called in the tracker.

We had a mix of both little blood to good blood as we started on the trail. At first, the longer we followed the trail and the more blood I saw, especially when it seemed like good blood, I was encouraged. However, on the flipside, the longer we followed the trail without finding him, I begin wondering.
        Last edited by MichaelW; 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I know you have wanted this for a long time and I'm glad you got to go. This is the best write up ever in my opinion. Congrats!
          Oh yeah that baboon was as big as you almost.

Comment

We followed him for some time, eventually jumping him. We continued to try and get and close enough for a second arrow, but just never could with all of the thick brush.

Ultimately, the decision was made and we ended up finishing this one with the rifle.

In bowhunting, we always strive for short blood trails and quick recoveries, but sometimes it just doesen't work out like that......and this was one of those times.

Anthony and "William" the tracker, were unbelievable in ultimately locating this animal.

This animal was the only one during the week which required a rifle followup.
            Attached Files

Comment

Once again A big Congrats Michael. Great Black Wildebeest. One of the critters on my list this year.

Comment

The shot on the wildebeest looks pretty far forward, almost in front of the leg. Is that where you wanted to put it?

Comment

Originally posted by bigtuna View Post
                  The shot on the wildebeest looks pretty far forward, almost in front of the leg. Is that where you wanted to put it?
                  No, not where I wanted it at all. It actually ended up hitting almost square on the shoulder midline, just catching the bottom of the shoulder bone and possibly penetrating a tad to touch the lung.

Had it been about 1, maybe 2 inches at most the other way....the 375 wouldn't have had to roar!!!!!
                  Last edited by MichaelW; 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    Once again A big Congrats Michael. Great Black Wildebeest. One of the critters on my list this year.
                    Thanks, really hope you get one!!!!

Comment

A kudu's ears have no forgiveness. I strongly suspect they can hear your heartbeat when they are close enough.

Comment

The rest of the afternoon and evening of this day was pretty much uneventful. We sat in another blind and almost had an opportunity at a white blesbok, but he came, drank, and left before we even knew what happened.

Comment

Michael,

Great Job and congrats!!! Why you wearing your work pants?

Jerryg

Comment

Originally posted by Jerryg View Post
                            Michael,

Why you wearing your work pants?

Jerryg
                            That's freaking hilarious.....I seriously just spit out a mouth full of coke zero laughing on that one.

Comment

A very nice black wildebeast! Bummer you had to finish him off with a rifle but I agree with your decision.

Comment

Man what an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing this with us. Thread of the year

Comment

Working...
                                X