Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Africa Experience - 10 days, 12 animals, Countless New Friends, Memories for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the kudu drew closer, still out of sight, but very much in sound, each approaching step was louder than the last as he was only mere yards away from the blind. I believe my nervousness was even heightened by the fact that although I hadn’t actually seen him, I knew he was there!

I was almost afraid to peer out the tiny dark shooting hole for fear he might be staring directly at me. With every passing second that ticked by, daylight was fading fast. I eventually mustered the courage to ever so slightly lean forward and look out and back at the corner of the shooting window to see if I could actually lay eyes on what I knew was there.

Comment

this is great..... edge of my seat, keep it coming

Comment

My eyes confirmed what my ears had already screamed out to me. One of Africa’s most beautiful and elusive animals was standing a mere few yards from the blind, staring intently in the direction of where I had previously shot the baboon earlier in the afternoon.

After an intense inspection of the surroundings, which at the time, seemed to have lasted for an eternity, he finally and extremely cautiously, began walking on a path that would bring him perfectly broadside at just a stone’s throw away.

Comment

Dang it MichealW you are killing us! I am so far to the edge of my seat I am fixing to fall out!

Comment

As this monster stepped into view, my bow was already at full draw. Unfortunately, the kudu was so close and it was so near dark, neither Anthony nor myself risked any unnecessary movement or sound, which consequently meant the video camera was very much off and laying on the ground of the blind at our feet. While attempting to settle the pin, I heard Anthony whisper “58-59 inches”.

Comment

And then, about 1 attosecond before my finger touched the release, for a reason I'll never know, other than possibly the 6th sense that all mature animals seem to possess, he whirled around with zero hesitation and was simply gone!

As he ran away, I could hear his large horns crashing on the overhanging branches....

Comment

gosh it sounds awsome! Oh the suspense!

Comment

Anthony and I simply looked at each other in disbelief of what had just happened and couldn't believe how close we once again came.

Comment

As we drove back to camp, I couldn't help but keep thinking about if I would have just released....

We arrived back at camp, visited around the campfire, enjoyed another fabulous meal and were off to bed.

Comment

Most Awesomeness thread! Congrats and thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Comment

On this day, rather than partially submerged underground in a pit blind, I found myself high in the Africans skies, staring across a mix of open plains and thick brush. While in most of the areas we hunted, we were always open to any opportunity that presented itself, today we had a particular focus. We were looking for black wildebeest.
                        Attached Files

Comment

After what became my "usual"...... aka eggs, bacon, and toast; We were on our way out to put up a treestand. Anthony suggested hanging a treestand in an area where the black wildebeest tend to congregate or socialize.

My apologies in advance for the butt shot Anthony if you ever happen to see this....
                          Attached Files

Comment

After getting the stand hung and all of the equipment up the tree, we settled in for the morning. As we relaxed in our elevated perch, I was glad I had wore my black fleece. The temperature for this trip was very close to perfect in my opinion. It was usually somewhere around 50's/60's in the morning, warming up to 80's during the day.

Anthony explained to me that the black wildebeest enjoy these open areas and will come in this area just to stand. The sign seemed to confirm this as there were tracks and signs of defecation everywhere.

Comment

After a couple of hours enjoying the cool morning and wonderful views, the guest of honor made their appearance.
                              Attached Files

Comment

smoke one!

Comment

Working...
                                X